Sealion Support? Pentadactyl

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Sealion Support? Pentadactyl

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-05, 18:26

Hi Guys and Gals,

So I have been playing with Sealion and it's a really great additional browser to Pale Moon and Basilisk.
Anyway, I was wondering where I can ask for support/discuss issues etc?

I want to compile pentadactyl for Sealion, I have done so for Pale Moon, but am unsure how to add the Sealion target in the rtf file?

Thank You
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Sealion Support? Pentadactyl

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-09-06, 04:35

fatboy wrote:
2023-09-05, 18:26
where I can ask for support/discuss issues etc
Ideally you could use the issue tracker on github ( https://github.com/wicknix/SeaLion/issues ), or continue posting in the seamonkey fork thread is also fine since netfusion now has it's own dedicated thread.

As for editing the install.rdf and depending on the extension also the chrome.manifest is pretty simple as i used PM's UUID. Because of this quite a few PM extensions just work without any editing. However some have separate entries for firefox and seamonkey. You'll notice the seamonkey overlay entries differ a bit. The ones that target seamonkey would look like this: chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul. As compared to firefox entries that look like this: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul. So just add PM's UUID to any seamonkey overlay in the chrome.manifest and you should be golden.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-06, 17:57

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Will do

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-09-06, 18:46

wicknix wrote:
2023-09-06, 04:35
as i used PM's UUID
Off-topic:
I'd rather use Seamonkey id.
There is number of reasons:
  • Pale Moon's id is actual application specific id, it is not borrowed from Firefox or anywhere else.
  • Many extensions haven't navigator overlay(and seamonkey id in install.rdf), so it will confuse users that extension installs but doesn't work. And it usually is not trivial to make new overlay, because browser and navigator are pretty different.
  • SeaLion is Seamonkey/navigator type application, so it simply shouldn't use id of application of different(browser) type.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-06, 19:46

wicknix wrote:
2023-09-06, 04:35
i used PM's UUID
As pointed out that's really not recommended and if you want to use an existing UUID you should use SeaMonkey or other suite UUID. Front-end overlays for Pale Moon may not work as they differ significantly from SeaMonkey and regularly need separate overlay XULs as a result. Using Pale Moon's UUID may allow extensions to install that would severely break the application's UI.
So I agree with Nuck's post and strongly suggest you (or others) not use Pale Moon's UUID unless their application is a direct derivative of the Pale Moon application code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-06, 22:07

OK, so I got Pentadactyl installed, but the extension is not working. I only edited the pentadactyl/pentadactyl/install.rdf file.
I guess that's that then? The issue probably lies with the source of the extension?

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-09-07, 01:55

Thanks for the concerns, but i know how the overlays work. Simply adding the ID to the navigator overlay and install.rdf is all it takes for SeaMonkey compatible extensions to work. There are thousands of extensions that don't have SeaMonkey support built in, and yes, some of those might install due to my decision, but wont work obviously. Extensions that don't use an overlay (palefill/modhresponse/cookies-exterminator/etc) are fine. I'm not going to change ID's now after 6 releases and break everybodys installed extensions when they install the next release.

Having said that, i included tested and/or modified extensions for SL in a downloadable archive on SL's github releases page. If people want something other than whats offered they can either a) ask me to include it (if possible), or b) experiment on their own. SL does not link to PM's or SM's addons sites via the addons manager, or anywhere on github. Also SeaLions github page clearly states what extensions and themes are currently supported.

This is a fork of a fork that is no longer anywhere close to true SeaMonkey and it's used by less than 30 people. I'm not too concerned about this minor non-issue.

As for Pentadactyl, i looked at the code, edited it, compiled it, and yes, it doesn't work. After doing a little interweb research it was made specifically for Firefox and will not work with SeaMonkey or it's forks. Same goes for many many other extensions sadly. SeaMonkey never had anywhere near the extension developers or users as Firefox did.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-07, 12:12

Thank You for trying, appreciate the effort.

Sealion is still amazing without pentadactyl :D