Open XMPP/Jabber chat service

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
lyceus

Re: Open XMPP/Jabber chat service

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-01-18, 01:35

I stopped to use the service since I really don't use it as all my reports are in the forum. Also Trillian start to be unstable with my accounts, Yahoo is impossible to connect except in the PC. And it ask me weekly permission for Facebook and sometimes it rejects Google Talk. So in the remote case that somebody needs me, a PM or message here will work better.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-03, 20:35

Planned extended downtime on Feb 6th to convert the server setup to different software due to unforeseen issues with Prosody's user and MUC management. I may return to Prosody at a later point in time when the code is more mature than it currently is, but for the time being will return to Openfire which this service started out on. Manual conversion of user accounts and rosters is unfortunately required which will take extended time.
Downtime will probably last the better part of the day. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-06, 12:29

Transfer of all accounts is complete, there may be some missing roster entries on the server and name/e-mail addresses missing. I've also had to reset all conference rooms since they were severely broken in Prosody.

At the same time, I've updated the server to Openfire 3.9.0 (brand new release) which fixed a number of issues in security - the reason why I moved away from it in the first place. Looks like I should have just saved myself (and the users) the trouble.

Web registrations are currently not available since I need to find a secure way to do this. New registrations can be made in-band (directly from the client)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-14, 21:29

A note on how not to use the XMPP/Jabber service at palemoon.net.
I would think this would all be common sense, but just to be clear...

There are a few things to avoid when using this service, as it's meant for normal chat purposes:
  • Do not create test accounts! Any accounts with obvious testing account names/attributes will be removed without notice. This is required to prevent abuse of the server.
  • Do not use weak or easily-guessed passwords. Avoid passwords that are easy to guess, like passwords containing your user name, "12345", any permutation of "password" (including "Leet Speak"/1337 5P34K). Avoid overly short passwords or passwords with solely repeated characters.
  • Do not run automated software/bots! This service is meant for person-to-person communication only. Do not run any automated software that could cause unnecessary or unwanted traffic, including but not limited to rapid-fire messaging, broadcast messaging to many JIDs, (public) autoresponders and feed services. If your account displays characteristics of messaging consistent with automated software or bots, your account may be locked out temporarily or permanently.
  • Please note that we have a 0-tolerance policy for spam. If you are found to be abusive in this (or any other) way, your account will be locked out permanently without warning. Please keep things nice for everyone on the XMPP network, thanks :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-15, 13:16

Important update:
The XMPP server will be shut down permanently at the end of the month of August 2014. Maintenance for it and fending off of abusive and malicious users is causing too much administrative strain on me, as well as financial strain.

A warm thank you to all the trolls, script kiddies and organized DDoSers to ruin this service for the relatively small number of active users on it. Congratulations, you won.

The XMPP federated network has many good alternative domains/servers to choose from (see http://xmpp.net/) - you have 2 weeks to find a replacement and inform your contacts of your new JID, etc.

Testertime

Unread post by Testertime » 2014-08-27, 03:40

Hey there, sorry for the revive, I hope it's okay!
Anglosas wrote: Currently I use Pidgin as a desktop client. Only just seeking some way to have a history from more pc in one place ...
I would recommend for XMPP and other connections the open source program called Jitsi, because it's possible to do encrypted chat, calls, video calls and desktop sharing with encryption as well, and more important, by default. Especially since Microsoft had dropped support since 1. August for a lot of older Skype versions and always requiring the newest version, it's really clear that they care for their backdoors. And so far Jitsi does it's job fairly well for an open source software.