palemoon localisation specific binaries ? and suggestions.

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
akshat

palemoon localisation specific binaries ? and suggestions.

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-29, 21:53

Hey Community!

now I know that this is a thing that I can do in the addon manager only , but if you guys can please! make a palemoon en-GB or multi (all) locale version I would be happe , now I am requesting only en-GB locale as it is mine , but if you guys can integrate all locales like they're in chromium , there's a separate folder in chromium with all the different locale that they support , if the palemoon devs do a similar thing , then palemoon will truly become multilingual and there will be updates pushed in order to update the locales , cause palemoon by default comes with en-us and you have to add other locales via addons which creates more files in the profile folder , making the locales integrated in the original folder or better in the binary itself will not only make it multi lingual but also make it more hassle free , and to be honest guys I would love to see "Pale Moon" instead of "Pale Moon en-US" in my windows programs and features tab . Please put your thoughts into this . I love palemoon and retro things.

Thanks
Akshat.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: palemoon localisation specific binaries ? and suggestions.

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-30, 02:21

Pale Moon is an en-US product. There is no logic in making 30+ builds or shipping megs of language strings most people ain't gonna use. Language Packs are the best and most efficient way to do this.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-30, 05:48

Off-topic:
You can save plenty of space by uninstalling unused locales and internationalization data, if any. I do that with LibreOffice in Linux, which ships with UI files and dictionaries for all the dozen or so languages it supports and their variants. There's really no point in sticking in languages that aren't going to be used or creating multiple language builds.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

akshat

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-30, 07:52

Then , please! tell me how to edit resources.res , or how to generate it , I read a post of someone asking the same thing . And he was treated good ☺️ .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-30, 10:21

There is no need to edit anything.
Just install the language pack for your language. It will be updated independently of the browser (also an advantage). The result will effectively be the same as a language-specific build which, as pointed out, is terribly inefficient of a solution for our scale of deployment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-30, 10:22

What are you trying to do? Just download & install the language pack of your choice.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

akshat

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-30, 11:06

Sorry M.C. , and other devs , I am just trying to integrate the en-GB.xpi language pack into palemoon.res itself in the palemoon dir in windows , and I was unable to to that via 7-zip , I know I can do it very easily via language pack addons and I had some time to burn so I started editing palemoon folder , stripping it down , and that’s when I saw the locale things . It’s not any problem if you guys don’t want to make locale specific build , because I also know that it’s BS and will take unnecessary time and energy . I was tinkering with palemoon for fun . But please! can anyone tell me how to generate palemoon.res and if possible how to edit it maybe ?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-30, 11:13

Because that file is not meant to be edited, if you are really so stubborn you can only go read the source code.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-30, 11:17

There is 0 reason whatsoever to ever hack the binary files of the browser. Don't expect to get any help with that from us because it's unnecessary and dangerous.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

akshat

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-30, 12:00

Not a problem, I won’t edit .res files .

Thanks for your time .☺️

akshat

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-30, 12:29

Sorry If I came out as being rude

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-30, 13:01

akshat wrote:
2021-05-30, 12:29
Sorry If I came out as being rude
I don't think you were in any way rude. We just simply can't support what you're trying to do.

akshat

Unread post by akshat » 2021-05-30, 14:04

Guess I would just use addons

BlakeyRat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by BlakeyRat » 2021-06-11, 20:53

Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-30, 11:17
There is 0 reason whatsoever to ever hack the binary files of the browser. Don't expect to get any help with that from us because it's unnecessary and dangerous.
For a long time, I have been customizing my copy of Palemoon. Rather than spending many hours digging through millions of lines of C++ source code and more hours re-compiling, I just replace some of the files in omni.jar with my own customized version. I do not distribute this. It is only for my own use and entertainment, and there is nothing "dangerous" about it. I enjoy creating my own personalized version of Palemoon. Nobody sees it except me and it is just a silly little hobby.

On the main Palemoon page it says "Your browser, Your way" and "more freedom in customization", but sadly, that is not 100% true any more, because you replaced "omni.jar" with "palemoon.res". It has the PK signature of a .zip file, just like omni.jar, but it is not accessable by any normal tools that can be used on .zip files.

Palemoon is your program and you can do whatever you want, and I'm not crazy enough to think that you're going change something just because I don't like it.

But after using Palemoon for a few years, I am a little disappointed to see that you have put significant time and effort into pointless tinkering and changing things that don't need to be changed.

Palemoon is still the best browser. It's just a little less fun now.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-06-11, 22:24

The palemoon.res file contains files which for the most part (if not entirely) can be overriden with themes, user customization files and other add-ons.
If all the modifications you make to the ex-omni.jar were to be placed in a theme or whatever, you'd be able to carry over those changes between versions without having to touch that file.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-11, 22:40

BlakeyRat wrote:
2021-06-11, 20:53
Rather than spending many hours digging through millions of lines of C++ source code and more hours re-compiling, I just replace some of the files in omni.jar with my own customized version. I do not distribute this. It is only for my own use and entertainment, and there is nothing "dangerous" about it.
Aside from potentially causing internal files to the browser being a mismatch, resulting in unspecified behaviour that can potentially also impact your privacy and security, let alone functionality of the browser being impaired. It's like replacing dll files in windows\system32 with other ones that have unknown compatibility with the rest of the O.S.
BlakeyRat wrote:
2021-06-11, 20:53
On the main Palemoon page it says "Your browser, Your way" and "more freedom in customization", but sadly, that is not 100% true any more
And that is just total BS. The motto and "freedom in customization" refers exclusively to the customization you can do within the browser itself using the tools provided by it. I'm honestly tired of people trying to twist this into something it isn't. Whether it be "Your browser, their way" whenever I change a pixel in the UI, or what you are trying to pull here equating customization with hacking.

You don't like the way the browser looks? use userChrome.css to tweak it or create a theme.
You don't like the way the browser functions? Use or write an extension that will give you full access to everything inside the browser and can change/override anything and everything.

"palemoon.res" became a thing because of a few reasons, not in the least because omni.ja was not a zip or jar file and should not be treated as such. In addition, we wanted to apply more efficient delivery of internal resources. And otherwise it's a resource you don't have to, and should not, touch. Ever. Period. it is outside of the scope of customization.

So, instead of stubbornly complaining about a browser internal, why don't you tell people here what exactly you did to "customize" it in the past with your hacking of omni.ja? I'm sure people can help you find a proper, cross-version solution for it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-12, 02:06

Everything they hack onmnijar for can be achieved with an extension even theme overrides can be done with an extension easily and for the most part wouldn't need done every time nor would void your support entitlement.