PaleMoon backup and extracting only 1 bookmark folder

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
TomDD

PaleMoon backup and extracting only 1 bookmark folder

Unread post by TomDD » 2013-05-25, 11:17

For some reason I lost a complete bookmarksfolder that contained some bookmarks. I have a backup (*.pmbackup). How do I extract from this backup only that specific bookmarkfolder without overwriting or deleting other recent bookmarks. What happens if I doubleclick the *.pmbackup file.

Thank you in advance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PaleMoon backup and extracting only 1 bookmark folder

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-25, 13:04

Pale Moon backup is not designed to restore selectively, and you would have to manually extract the files then selectively import from what you have extracted (which can be very technical).

Double-clicking a .pmbackup file will do nothing, you have to use the Pale Moon backup application to restore from these files.

HOWEVER: Pale Moon automatically makes bookmark backups that you may be able to restore from from a more recent state. Go to "Organize bookmarks" and click "Import and backup" -> Restore, and then choose the date when you still had the bookmarks you need. You will lose anything added since then but it would be less damage than using an older complete profile restore.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-05-25, 13:18

Since I'm a non technical person and like to keep things simple for myself, I backup (put) my bookmarks on a thumb (flash) drive. This way, if anything happens which somehow erases partially or all of the bookmarks on my Bookmarks Toolbar, they're still safe on my thumb drive. I make a list on what bookmarks I made during the week and then make a new folder on the thumb drive (usually by date) while deleting the old folder on the thumb drive. This way, my bookmarks are always safe. If I don't add any bookmarks durng the week, I don't use the thumb drive.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

TomDD

Unread post by TomDD » 2013-05-25, 14:48

Maybe I could import all my bookmarks from the backup and simply put them in another folder labeled for example backup, c'se I don't think the imported bookmarks will overwrite the actual ones, and just import the folder I need and delete the rest of the imported bookmark folders from the backup.