Just got Mypal, is it the same thing as Pale Moon?

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
ulrichburke

Just got Mypal, is it the same thing as Pale Moon?

Unread post by ulrichburke » 2020-10-22, 04:54

Dear Anyone.

Just got Mypal for XP, just wondering if it's the same thing as Pale Moon cos a lot of the features - I'm not a programmer, really, just fascinated, be nice! - seem to be the same as Pale Moon.

Is it just Pale Moon optimised for XP?

Yours wonderingly

Chris.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Just got Mypal, is it the same thing as Pale Moon?

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-22, 09:05

It's NOT the same thing.

While underlying code can be same to an extent and overall look can feel similar to Pale Moon, it must be considered a totally different product. Someone has used the Pale Moon source code and modified it to run on Windows XP systems. They call it MyPal. Pale Moon developers are not affiliated with it and you should not ask for support here regarding it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 09:50

Okay, this is becoming a troll effort. Good ol' Jody has joined up with the MSFN crew specifically to chat shit about me but more importantly there is a coordinated effort to convert new users or existing Pale Moon users to these XP hackjobs. I don't know if any specific person apart of the recent influx is them selves a troll or a pawn out of ignorance to their MSFN masters.

Either way, something has to be done.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-22, 09:54

No UXP-based application can run on XP. MyPal and any other Pale Moon or Basilisk browser derivative that runs on Windows XP is by definition not the same and has had considerable changes to run-time code. While at first glance it may look the same in the UI and work very similar, the programs are different "under the hood" and as stated we can't provide any support for it here; you'll have to go to the MyPal developer (Feodor) for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-22, 09:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-22, 09:50
Either way, something has to be done.
I'm not sure what could be done aside from informing people about the state of things when they have questions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonbird
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Moonbird » 2020-11-17, 09:29

I'd like to volunteer as "Moon Correspondent for XP Users". I understand them, using a P3 with New Moon & Mypal every day. I'd like to take the aggressions away from you, the Pale Moon developers, and gently guide any questions regarding unsupported Pale Moon forks for Windows XP to the MSFN forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-17, 09:32

Appreciate the offer -- Go for it.
All this needs from the "regulars" here is to just step back and let you do your catalyst task.

gabrl

Unread post by gabrl » 2021-01-05, 20:06

I ran into this thread by chance and would like to offer my two cents, I have been looking at the Mypal thing for a while and my impression is that its developer is a little inexperienced (at least with some tools and practices) and has a lot of trouble with the (English) language, and that's where most misunderstandings came from.

He especially had very little familiarity with Git and Github, and that, following an unfortunate encounter with some licensing terms (see https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/issues/35) led to him packing everything into a huge and messed up apparent fork instead of keeping his limited modifications distinct.
Look at https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/commits/28.4.0 and the following https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/commits/28.4.1.
If you noticed something strange, try `git log --all --max-parents=0`. Yes, that repository is a bewildering mess.
And from that point he went on importing the succeeding UXP and Pale Moon commits in some twisted way he probably felt more confident with (maybe with something like git am), personalizing the messages along the way, instead of using anything sane and transparent.

My feeling is that he didn't have ill intentions, though.

I still haven't got the chance to clarify with him if he is "internally" still using his collection of patches, which would make the project still salvageable, or he has really irremediably mucked up and forked everything (and is thus very close to an ineluctable spectacular end).
(yes I know I could have used the time to clarify that instead of writing this post, but that's for sure more laborious and I have a lot on my plate in this period)

I am alarmed by the Russian name, so it's absolutely reasonable to be wary, but considering everything I think it's more likely that everyone is in good faith.

However it is absolutely sensible to be wary of using Mypal for the time being, it for sure is risky and it's for sure better to steer away from it at least until (if ever) things become clearer, orderly and transparent.
And using binaries compiled in Russia (or even just messy sources with such origin) is for sure treacherous so long as Putin is around, however nice normal Russians are.

If we do really start to see a lot of mysterious Mypal enthusiasts and proponents the matter is set and we can definitely say it was a (low-level) Putin's apt thingamabob.

Wait, actually I'm not even sure he is Russian, is he? :D

In the meanwhile I do think it would be better for the Pale Moon's developers and Feodor (if that's his name) to strive to assume good intentions and not become sworn enemies for life.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-05, 21:35

You can hope all you want but that doesn't change reality.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-06, 10:25

If you mean Fyodor, he's either Russian or just very fluent in the language. And despite your optimism, the history of Mypal across this forum and over at MSFN is very different.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-06, 11:39

Fedor2 and his ally roytam1 are criminals, hackers, instigators, facilitators, organizers against Pale Moon and other UXP Projects and involved personnel.

DayTripper
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DayTripper » 2021-01-07, 17:30

Moonchild wrote:
2020-11-17, 09:32
All this needs from the "regulars" here is to just step back and let you do your catalyst task.
What happened to this call?

For the record, Fedor is not Russian and MyPal has had all telemetry and tracking code removed for the sake of privacy.

It not only supports Windows XP but it provides HTML5 video support that was not before possible in XP.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-01-07, 22:46

DayTripper wrote:
2021-01-07, 17:30
Moonchild wrote:
2020-11-17, 09:32
What happened to this call?

For the record, Fedor is not Russian and MyPal has had all telemetry and tracking code removed for the sake of privacy.

It not only supports Windows XP but it provides HTML5 video support that was not before possible in XP.
Not quite sure what relevance his nationality is although fyodor is a common russian name.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-08, 01:42

Moonraker wrote:
2021-01-07, 22:46
MyPal has had all telemetry and tracking code removed for the sake of privacy.
What telemetry and tracking code? It is an unauthorized fork of Pale Moon, which doesn't have any of that to begin with.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

DayTripper
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DayTripper » 2021-01-08, 08:27

moonbat wrote:
2021-01-08, 01:42
What telemetry and tracking code?
Matching lines: 6739 Matching files: 631 Total files searched: 140974

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-08, 09:14

moonbat wrote:
2021-01-08, 01:42
What telemetry and tracking code?
We never got around to do full dead code cleanup on that yet. Bigger fish and all that. None of it is functional though, just "still in the tree". It's akin to the many other cleanup tasks we still have that nobody helps with, like Android cleanup.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-08, 11:07

DayTripper..

The real problem with the dead telemetry code is it is so much more invasive than it was in the previous platform codebases. We will get it all EX-TER-MIN-ATED but it all has to be done very carefully. Else you will bust the platform.

I have ZERO faith in the MSFN Hackers and Enemy Agent's ability to properly remove, add, or manage any code they ship out. If I am wrong on that assumption then consider you have no tangible idea what could be in these builds from mere half-assery which is readily demonstrated to malicious code exploiting an old and insecure operating system. You can't even be sure what is compiled and shipped matches what is in their poorly managed repositories.

Also, your post gushing over the features for XP users is dissentious at best because even when WE had builds that ran on XP Officially.. They had those features you cited. I would suggest you go back to your masters and tell them you failed to entice people to use that garbage.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-08, 11:57

That's before you consider a proprietary operating system that's been junked in the garbage by its original creators for six years and counting, and these stubborn weirdos won't even consider 7, let alone 8 or 10 or just some Linux variant that will run on whatever geriatric hardware they have. I can still understand sticking onto 7 since that was the pinnacle of Windows as a proper keyboard/mouse UI based OS.

DayTripper
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DayTripper » 2021-01-08, 23:57

moonbat wrote:
2021-01-08, 11:57
these stubborn weirdos won't even consider 7...
Well up until recently 5% of a client's subscribers were using XP. That has since dropped to 3% due to a new location who all seem to be using Windows 10.

I recently had to order in a couple of new hard drives from the local repair shop and we discussed Windows XP. Although he can no longer get parts for the older machines and the new machines are unsuitable, he still has clients using XP to support software that they use.

In fact I am still using Windows 98 to run software that would otherwise cost $3k to upgrade.

Some networks can have a 1,000 workstations... upgrading the mechanics just to run a bloated version of Windows would cost a squillion.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-09, 00:54

DayTripper wrote:
2021-01-08, 23:57
In fact I am still using Windows 98 to run software that would otherwise cost $3k to upgrade.
You know that virtualization exists, right?
DayTripper wrote:
2021-01-08, 23:57
upgrading the mechanics just to run a bloated version of Windows would cost a squillion.
if you have that many vulnerable workstations, consider how much MORE it would cost if you get that network compromised by black hatters.