Presenting a program to the community

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Presenting a program to the community

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-01-26, 03:33

Hello community, I've been developing a tool for my own benefit and the truth is looking good, so well, maybe it's simple but for lazy people like me it can be useful. :roll: What I wanted to know is if there is any way to present it here in the forum, without encouraging to profit, I just want to facilitate it when it is finished. To be more specific I will give the following folder structure of an extension:

Code: Select all

chrome
defaults
META-INF
chrome.manifest
install.rdf
The program would compress all the files and folders in the chosen format: .xpi, .zip or .rar, and well, basically that would be all, it has the option to exclude the files or folders that we don't want to be compressed, assign the name of the output file and if we want it to be compressed in a different folder (since by default it is compressed in the same folder), I repeat, this is not for profit, no advertising, shorteners or anything, I just wanted to share it with the community. Attached is a picture to give you a better idea. With this it is clear the objective, to save the task of manually compressing the files and change the extension of it.
Attachments
2020-01-25 23_18_59-MainWindow.png
2020-01-25 23_18_59-MainWindow.png (7.99 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
🧠 Learning...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Presenting a program to the community

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-26, 03:44

Looks good. If you want to share it, please host it externally and provide a link rather than attaching it to a forum post, that is frowned upon here.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-26, 09:02

moonbat wrote:
2020-01-26, 03:44
rather than attaching it to a forum post, that is frowned upon here.
No it isn't.
What is frowned upon is attaching (esp. modified versions of) extensions/programs written by someone else to posts.

That being said, if you have a place to host binaries it'd be better than attaching it on this forum, but we're not against something in development being tossed to the community as an attachment for development/testing if it directly related to the project or tasks around it.

This board is about browser development though, so I'll be moving this topic to the "other projects" board :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-01-26, 11:20

Moonchild wrote:
2020-01-26, 09:02
That being said, if you have a place to host binaries it'd be better than attaching it on this forum, but we're not against something in development being tossed to the community as an attachment for development/testing if it directly related to the project or tasks around it.
So you're saying I should post everything about the program somewhere else and provide a link here? Because I thought that you could make a special space for this program (here in the community) and there solve doubts, would be the tutorial of how to use the program and those things.
🧠 Learning...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-26, 11:27

It's possible to do that (e.g. through a sub board on the forum) but the thing is the forum isn't really meant to be a software distribution location; it's meant to be a community discussion/support platform.
So we'd prefer it if you have a website for it somewhere once the program is (almost) complete. If you're completely in a bind and have no opportunity to get some shared hosting spot or what not for the program, then we can see what we can do, but that's mostly an "if all else fails" scenario.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-01-26, 12:14

Moonchild wrote:
2020-01-26, 11:27
It's possible to do that (e.g. through a sub board on the forum) but the thing is the forum isn't really meant to be a software distribution location; it's meant to be a community discussion/support platform.
So we'd prefer it if you have a website for it somewhere once the program is (almost) complete. If you're completely in a bind and have no opportunity to get some shared hosting spot or what not for the program, then we can see what we can do, but that's mostly an "if all else fails" scenario.
To be honest it is difficult, the reality is that I do not have to pay for a hosting service, the most I could get is a place in 000webhost but the truth is not the best, I thought about Blogspot but I do not know, I think that doing something external to publish something that is primarily intended for this community is somewhat cumbersome, of course, the program can be used by external people during the development of their extensions obviously but I see that this is the best place to publicize it, also I plan to support updates.
🧠 Learning...

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-01-26, 12:39

I think GitHub Pages should be perfect for your needs.

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-01-26, 19:38

JustOff wrote:
2020-01-26, 12:39
I think GitHub Pages should be perfect for your needs.
Mmm that looks good, suppose I upload the show to Github, all right, how do I get it out to the community?
🧠 Learning...

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-01-26, 19:52

The github user guide should explain how the site works, what is git if you don't know already, and finally how to create a github page and share your content with people.