Artist

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
mathewshanley

Artist

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-26, 22:36

Who I am
Hi my name is Mathew I'm quite an enthusiast when it comes to graphic art and just does things in Photoshop & Illustrator. It's something I usually do when I get bored, you can find my work here bit.ly/mshga this is where most of it is, it's all artwork, photography and photo-manipulation. I also got bored and created my own website just because I had nothing else to do but it's made on google sites so I had some constraints but I made the background the welcome image and all the images on my homepage and on the portfolio and backgrounds section the site can be found here bit.ly/handinc

What I would like to do for Pale Moon
I would like to help out by creating the images for persona's website background banners, well anything you would like me to do really I don't mind it's something to do I don't want to be paid or anything I would just like to help out that is if you want me. If you already have your own dedicated artist then fair enough. I hope I can help out here at Pale Moon!

If Pale Moon doesn't want me sorry for wasting your time! :angel:

lyceus

Re: Artist

Unread post by lyceus » 2011-10-27, 03:02

hi!

Maybe you should post some ideas here, the main clue I can give you is that the Pale Moon icon cannot be changed in anyway - size,color,form,shape and place. Because there are too many rogue programs that try to mimic to Pale Moon image and comes with malware. So the personas must be consistent with the main logo by force. Good luck I and hope see your ideas!

:)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-10-27, 10:20

I have to say that the superimposed moon/cloud images in your DA gallery look nice. It would certainly be appreciated if you can make a persona using that material (please look up required pixel sizes and/or refer to the images of existing Pale Moon personas).

A graphical website background (outside the content) would improve the site's impact but I have not done that thus far because of the large amount of traffic on a cheap hosting plan. I need to limit kB/page as much as possible.

The Pale Moon logo is indeed something I want to keep as-is, unless there is a single, captivating, clearly distinguishing design for a new logo that could be used. I'm certainly open to have a look at alternatives that could be used in the program and on sites. It will have to be professional and polished, though, and make a clear, unambiguous, visual statement.

I'm certainly interested though, and as Lobocursor says: please post some detailed ideas.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-27, 11:55

I don't want to change the logo that's fine as it is, and as it is and if your on a a cheap hosting plan couldn't you find somewhere that hosts images that aren't compressed and have them come from there, I mean you could use google for example you get 1gb of storage with google docs just make the images public and change t he HTML of the pages so that it loads the images from the URL, so your getting the images loaded on your website for free! Although page load time would be slightly less as you know, but it would slow down if you used your current server for the images. I could make something similar to the cloud and moon images for a persona or two I couldn't use the same image I would make a brand new one, also if you ever did Pale Moon for mac, you could ship Pale Moon with the persona as it's default look for that extra something. I would be happy to create persona's that are 1exclusively to Pale Moon.

Just whilst I remember you can host any file on google docs, so you could make the Pale Moon install files public just put them on there and have, the download button link to them and theoretically it should download, this is something you would have to test out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-10-27, 14:47

OK, a few things to consider here:
  1. Pale Moon will not be released for the Mac.
  2. Google Docs, like any publishing company, will not take kindly to bandwidth theft. Using Google Docs as a download repository or image repository will lead to termination of the account for abuse ;) You get 1 GB of storage, but you'd better not drive 30,000 hits per day to hotlinked images on their servers.
  3. Spidering across multiple sites for elements of a webpage is not a good idea. It creates slow webpages that will only properly load and display if all servers are available and respond promptly to requests. I'm not willing to go that route for a mere background picture. It's also inconsiderate towards people who are on slower connections, of course.
  4. As far as downloads go, I'm pretty much set already, anyway.
  5. A persona would be great, and if of sufficient quality and blending well enough with different use scenarios for the browser (light/dark desktop, etc.) I may include it as a default theme for future releases.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-27, 15:15

Moonchild wrote:OK, a few things to consider here:
  1. Pale Moon will not be released for the Mac.
  2. Google Docs, like any publishing company, will not take kindly to bandwidth theft. Using Google Docs as a download repository or image repository will lead to termination of the account for abuse ;) You get 1 GB of storage, but you'd better not drive 30,000 hits per day to hotlinked images on their servers.
  3. Spidering across multiple sites for elements of a webvpage is not a good idea. It creates slow webpages that will only properly load and display if all servers are available and respond promptly to requests. I'm not willing to go that route for a mere background picture. It's also inconsiderate towards people who are on slower connections, of course.
  4. As far as downloads go, I'm pretty much set already, anyway.
  5. A persona would be great, and if of sufficient quality and blending well enough with different use scenarios for the browser (light/dark desktop, etc.) I may include it as a default theme for future releases.

I didn't expect Pale Moon to come to mac it was just an example.

As for bandwidth theft I would be surprised if google noticed, I mean they have something like 1 million servers, but it would look bad on your organisation.

Would it be possible to offer Pale Moon with and without a persona, I expect some people would prefer to use the clear window boarders offered by window vista, 7 & 8 I can work on a persona on Friday, if that is what you would like me to do, as long as I'm credited somewhere I don't mind at all.

I will also happily do a page header for palemoon.org home page or if your happy with it then it doesn't matter.

Is it just me or is there no donate button anywhere? Maybe I'm wrong but I definitely think it would be worth adding if you haven't already ;) I've found one, right at the bottom it is hard to find, I would have it higher up along with the download button, just a suggestion :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-10-27, 16:19

As for bandwidth theft I would be surprised if google noticed, I mean they have something like 1 million servers, but it would look bad on your organisation.
Even if you steal from the filthy rich, it's still stealing.
Would it be possible to offer Pale Moon with and without a persona, I expect some people would prefer to use the clear window boarders offered by window vista, 7 & 8 I can work on a persona on Friday, if that is what you would like me to do, as long as I'm credited somewhere I don't mind at all.
Yeah (a) persona(s) would be nice - of course you will be credited as author of the persona. No hurry, work on it when you have time/desire :)
I will also happily do a page header for palemoon.org home page or if your happy with it then it doesn't matter.
Well you can at least show me what you have as an idea :) I do want to keep the theme for the page light and (pale) blue though, so keep that in mind if you design something.

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-27, 16:29

Moonchild wrote:
Even if you steal from the filthy rich, it's still stealing.
I know I know I was just making a point
Moonchild wrote:
Well you can at least show me what you have as an idea :) I do want to keep the theme for the page light and (pale) blue though, so keep that in mind if you design something.
Yes of course well the clue is in the name so it would be something pale I'll probably start tomorrow or tonight just give me the pixel dimensions, something to point out I don't know if this matters or not but your home page does not fit a 800 x 600 resolution screen something I noticed earlier whilst I was using a netbook (testing windows 8)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-10-27, 19:07

Yes of course well the clue is in the name so it would be something pale I'll probably start tomorrow or tonight just give me the pixel dimensions,
The main header on the index page is 800px x 250px
The header on most other pages is 800px x 82px
something to point out I don't know if this matters or not but your home page does not fit a 800 x 600 resolution screen something I noticed earlier whilst I was using a netbook (testing windows 8)
The main page table is a little less than 800 pixels wide in text content, which is "close enough" to still be viewable on an 800 px wide screen even if it doesn't fit for 100%. In Windows 8 you probably lose a bit more as well due to unnecessary whitespace in window frames, etc. (F11 may help)

I'm not really catering for super small screens. Even "State of the Ark" computers can still be assumed to have 1024x768 screens or larger, so I'm not catering to much smaller than that. Pale Moon's main focus is also not mobile or handheld devices, but desktop computers - it's all about priorities ;)

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-27, 19:16

Cheers and yea probably right, I'll get on with something tomorrow and on the laptop (1023x768) the page is fine, I agree it is about priorities, I might even create a theme tomorrow, or maybe not you'll find out anyway I'll post a header on here for you so you can give me some "constructive criticism" :)

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-10-28, 12:41

Could do with the Pale Moon logo but without any of the background around it :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2011-11-05, 05:12

mathewshanley wrote:Cheers and yea probably right, I'll get on with something tomorrow and on the laptop (1023x768) the page is fine, I agree it is about priorities, I might even create a theme tomorrow, or maybe not you'll find out anyway I'll post a header on here for you so you can give me some "constructive criticism" :)
Waiting for your ideas :)

mathewshanley

Unread post by mathewshanley » 2011-11-06, 16:28

lobocursor wrote: Waiting for your ideas :)
Well you might see it very soon ;)

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-05, 00:33

There is a ad-on for Firefox/Palemoon that can be found at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/all-in-one-sidebar/?src=search It is a side bar. Can the current and future themes be revised to show on the sidebar? It would be very nice IMHO.

P.S. It would be cool if you could make your Lunar Berry XL a theme for this forum...if its possible.