Pale Moon Commander

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon Commander

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-06, 09:06

A first release of Pale Moon Commander, the advanced preferences configurator for Pale Moon, has been released to AMO.

This is a first core release (0.5) and no documentation has been written yet, so please be careful using the add-on as any changes made with it are permanent.
You can find the add-on here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pale-moon-commander/

Documentation is in the works, and it's been added to the Pale Moon website now (Download -> Pale Moon Commander)
EDIT: I've decided to change the license to a freeware license.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Commander

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-12, 08:16

Update: The add-on has been updated to 0.6 after adding a number of features and reorganizing the layout slightly.
A full review has been requested (it seems to share the queue with preliminary reviews? in any case there's a queue of 60 add-ons for review at AMO... this might take a few weeks :!: ), and it's available on the palemoon.org site directly as well: http://www.palemoon.org/commander.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-14, 21:55

I'll see about creating proper documentation for it soon. In the meantime, Softpedia has picked the add-on up as a tweak tool listing (unsuspected!) and it can be found here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Brow ... nder.shtml

They also seem to be a lot faster in evaluating the add-on over there as it's been reviewed and given the 100% clean certification, as well as an editor's writeup. In the meantime: AMO has the add-on in the queue 6 spaces up after 2 days (Queue Position: 54 of 63) ... so.. maybe in 3 weeks or a month, this version will have been reviewed? :lol:

kilops

Unread post by kilops » 2013-03-28, 11:28

Hi Moonchild, I'v been using Pale Moon (Portable version) for a long time now and I love it, congratz for your awesome work there.

I stumbled upon this addon today, and as a geek, I obviously loved it :]

I'm used to change/tweak via about:config some of PM/FF internals and I'm here to submit one (maybe more later) to be made accessible thru your addon :
(Needles to say that Pale Moon being performance oriented, my current suggestion and futures ones are related to performance and responsiveness enhancement)

nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 150 (default)
Delay in ms before the page start to be drawn, to let more content (like images/css) to be loaded before the 1st draw, content loaded later will trigger a redraw of the HTML and cause more CPU cycles. If all content is loaded the page is drawn immediately.

A tricky value to tweak, but I like to have it quite high (1500 ms) on my low-perf netbook, because I know that very few page load faster. (the Wifi being another bottleneck)
On my High end desktop I set to to 0 or 1 to have maximum responsiveness.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-01, 22:19

AMO Editors wrote:Your add-on, Pale Moon Commander, 0.6, has been preliminarily reviewed by an editor and is now available for download in our gallery
About time ;)
kilops wrote:nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 150 (default)
Might be an idea to add to a later version, yes.
Note: setting to a very low value (less than 100 ms) is not recommended because network latency will then always waste time/CPU rendering a not-yet-renderable page (nothing received yet or just headers).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-02, 09:20

I'm aware of the pref.
Default: 150 (in Pale Moon)

gteds

Unread post by gteds » 2013-04-27, 16:27

how to translation this add-ons ?

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-04-28, 01:07

gteds wrote:how to translation this add-ons ?
This will need translation until it's complete, also translation will be very tricky. It should be clear as glass or some users can wipe their computers by mistake. So why for the moment is English only.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-26, 13:04

A first version of the manual is available for Pale Moon Commander (PDF format).
Feel free to have a look through it and let me know any issues. Note that this manual is for PMC v1.0 which adds 2 things (Initial paint delay and switching to the new tab when opening bookmarks in a new tab) that are therefore in the manual but not in the currently released version of the extension.

The PDF can be downloaded here: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/2/blob?download

EDIT: Published v1.0 of the add-on now on the website http://www.palemoon.org/commander.shtml
AMO might take a while to review this as per usual.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-05-26, 20:18

Thanks for the manual. Not really a Pale Moon problem, but enabling Direct2D acceleration in Commander brings back the font rendering issue ugliness (Win 8 x64). Something must be seriously wrong with Microsoft, as documented here. Also tried "Always use ClearType for content" but the problem remains (until Direct2D is disabled).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-26, 20:23

back2themoon wrote:Thanks for the manual. Not really a Pale Moon problem, but enabling Direct2D acceleration in Commander brings back the font rendering issue ugliness (Win 8 x64).
Actually, Direct2D is enabled by default so you probably disabled it yourself in the past ;)
Currently, there is a BIG issue with Direct2D when you have the Windows Platform Update installed. This is, however, off-topic to this particular thread as it's not a Pale Moon Commander issue, so if you want to discuss this please take it to the appropriate thread, thanks!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-05-27, 02:43

I still get downloads for version 0.6 in mozilla and the other link send me to the same version? We need to wait maybe. :/

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2013-05-27, 06:38

You can find it under the versions:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Why it always takes sometime for new versions to appear on AMO?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-27, 07:47

lobocursor wrote:I still get downloads for version 0.6 in mozilla and the other link send me to the same version? We need to wait maybe. :/
The following link points to v1.0 on the page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pale-moon-commander/versions/1.0
Or you can download and install the add-on right from this page: Add to Pale Moon

Softpedia has been notified of the new version, they may take a moment or two as well.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-06-01, 04:36

Moonchild wrote:Softpedia has been notified of the new version, they may take a moment or two as well.
Thank you @Moonchild and @jumba, finally I got it installed. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-01, 14:01

jumba wrote:Why it always takes sometime for new versions to appear on AMO?
Any new addon or updated add-on needs to be reviewed by the AMO editors before it is published. This is because of the default "automatic updates" for add-ons being pushed out to millions of users. If there is a browser-breaking piece of code in there, or an add-on account has been compromised and a malicious add-on update is uploaded, this prevents that bad code from affecting or respectively infecting many, many computers.

That being said, AMO tends to take much more time to review add-ons than they state as average.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-06-21, 13:16

Updated the version of the add-on to 1.0.1, adding a single option for hiding UI placeholders on focus, and setting compatibility of the add-on to 17-24 instead of 19-21 based on compatibility checks and submitted compatibility reports. Note that some preferences may have no effect in Firefox 17 or 18!

Updated the manual accordingly as well.

Direct downloads of the files:
Add-on XPI: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/5/blob?download
Manual for 1.0.1: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/4/blob?download

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-04, 07:42

Updated the version to 1.1, adding support for the added features of Pale Moon 20.2 (padlock) and adding preferences for CMS settings.

Updated the manual accordingly.

Add-on XPI version 1.1: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/6/blob?download
Manual for version 1.1: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/7/blob?download

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-11, 07:25

Updated the version to 1.2, adding support for Pale Moon 24.0 to be published very soon.

Note: 1.2 is not available for older versions of the browser, since a number of preferences got renamed/no longer apply/were changed.

To-do: update the manual!

Add-on XPI version 1.2: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/7C0AjLa/8/blob?download
Manual for version 1.2: Not complete yet