Programs that I would like to see in the XUL list.

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
cybermax

Programs that I would like to see in the XUL list.

Unread post by cybermax » 2018-09-17, 17:07

Greetings!
I saw this message, I decided to write about the programs that I wished the community to continue to develop.
Mozilla Thunderbird — The best email client was before. I've seen Icedove-CCS, but it's only Linux, the version for Windows would be nice.
Instantbird — messenger. I know that there is a built-in instant messenger in the Thunderbird, but the standalone version is more convenient.
Mozilla Sunbird — Also XUL based organizer very convenient for daily use.
Songbird player — XUL based player, why not?
Last edited by cybermax on 2018-09-18, 00:25, edited 3 times in total.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Programs that I would like to see in the XUL list.

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2018-09-18, 01:02

Interlink is the UXP Thunderbird replacement. The other ones you mentioned might not be doable for reasons such as general lack of interest and/or ancient codebase.

My personal take on the subject:

- A full-blown IDE or something simple like Komodo Edit
- SeaMonkey, if one day they see the light and cut remnant ties with moz://a
- Standalone WYSIWYG HTML editor, a la KompoZer
- A Spotify 0.9.7 clone. Bet it would perform much better than the current CEF-based implementation ;)
- K-Meleon. It looks like KM 77 will be based on UXP

Public Enema
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Public Enema » 2018-09-18, 02:58

cybermax wrote:Songbird player — XUL based player, why not?
For whatever it's worth, it has a slightly more up-to-date successor called Nightingale.
mrnhmath wrote:- A full-blown IDE or something simple like Komodo Edit
You know, Komodo's devs might be interested in UXP development. Do you know if Moonchild has contacted them?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-18, 05:53

Thunderbird has moved to Mozilla Quantum and doesn't belong in that list. Although there is still XUL in it, of course, because of piece-meal replacement strategies at Mozilla, it is no longer a "XUL application". It's a hybrid right now, and over time it will even cease to use the XUL tree for its main display (bugzilla bugs are already filed and being processed for that).

In the list we don't want to list historical/discontinued projects, either. That would defeat the purpose of what it was created for which is -current- use of XUL applications. Maybe in the future a "historical use" page can be added but that's not what this site has set out for.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-18, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Public Enema
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Public Enema » 2018-09-18, 16:48

Moonchild wrote:Thunderbird has moved to Mozilla Quantum and doesn't belong in that list. Although there is still XUL in it, of course, because of piece-meal replacement strategies at Mozilla, it is no longer a "XUL application". It's a hybrid right now, and over time it will even cease to use the XUL tree for its main display (bugzilla bugs are already filed and being processed for that).

In the list we don't want to list historical/discontinued projects, either. That would defeat the purpose of what it was created for which is -current- use of XUL applications. Maybe in the future a "historical use" page can be added but that's not what this site has set out for.
Doesn't Komodo still uses XUL as much as it ever did? Even if they started moving away, maybe they could be convinced to come back with UXP.