Kiosk distribution with Pale moon

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
hendry

Kiosk distribution with Pale moon

Unread post by hendry » 2017-04-16, 12:24

Hi there,

After blogging about the difficult developments of Firefox https://webconverger.org/blog/2017/Is_i ... converger/ I was put onto Palemoon.

Webconverger is 10+ year old self-updating distribution (Debian derivative) with 4000+ deployments which is designed to be used in public / corporate / locked down environments, giving sane access to the open Web. It's opensource, though it just about sustains itself with a business side where it charges for a configuration management service.

https://github.com/webconverger/

Our "lock down" extension https://github.com/Webconverger/webconverger-addon appears to mostly work with Palemoon. Except the opening screen of Palemoon's links and our theme / logo not showing in the chrome and the tab things: https://s.natalian.org/2017-04-16/14923 ... 0x1408.png

Hopefully I can work out how to disable these things. Otherwise just wanted to say "Hi" and voice my intention to explore using Pale Moon instead of Firefox. If this a bad or good idea, would be nice to know.

Many thanks from Singapore,

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Kiosk distribution with Pale moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-16, 13:02

If you intend to ship Pale Moon with a distribution like that with pre-installed add-ons and/or different configuration, be aware that you can't "just do so". If you want to do this, then we must agree to the terms of officially-branded binary distribution with your intended configuration. Please see: http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml

Feel free to get in touch via e-mail to work this out.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-04-16, 14:14

hendry wrote:Except the opening screen of Palemoon's links and our theme / logo not showing in the chrome and the tab things: https://s.natalian.org/2017-04-16/14923 ... 0x1408.png
You run "palemoon.exe -jsconsole" in the Command Line:

Throws an error in Error Console:

Code: Select all

NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
[nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]
chrome://webconverger/content/wc.js
See:

Code: Select all

Components.utils.import("resource:///modules/CustomizableUI.jsm");
This file not exist in Pale Moon.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 11:23

Hi OP.

If you are interested, an alternative would be the Porteus distro, which also has a kiosk version. Porteus is based on Slackware.

I have no idea whether either one would be more adequate for you than the other, you would have to check it out for yourself.

http://porteus-kiosk.org/index.html

The promotional page looks nice, whether the thing lives up to it I don't know.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-08, 11:30

Off-topic:
You are constantly necrobumping old threads. Please don't do that.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 11:42

adesh wrote:
Off-topic:
You are constantly necrobumping old threads. Please don't do that.
I am simply looking for topics I find interesting, and I contribute a reply if I think I have something interesting to add. You call this necrobumping".

Is this forbidden, or is it merely your own opinion about this ?

Besides, I see you are apparently following me.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-10-08, 16:23

Donotfillintheblank wrote:Is this forbidden, or is it merely your own opinion about this ?
Read the forum rules:
app.php/rules#no-necro-posting
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-29, 23:18

Nigaikaze wrote:
Donotfillintheblank wrote:Is this forbidden, or is it merely your own opinion about this ?
Read the forum rules:
app.php/rules#no-necro-posting
Ah well. I always find it a pity when I see forum rules (or any rules at all) are used in a somewhat "ultra-conservative" way.

I fully understand the need for rules, I have had experience with forums for many years (almost 2 decades) and I know how wrong discussions can go.

Yet when compared to the simple act of responding to a thread which brings a topic your are interested in (whether or not it is "likely relevant" does not seem relevant here), I feel reproaching someone who responded twice to such threads of interest "you are always necro-bumping, please don't to this" rather repressive and not at all encouraging when it comes to debate and exchange of ideas.

I have seen too much of this, and more (such as deletion of whole threads because someone didn't like something someone said in a post and complained about it to some moderator) to not feel somewhat aggravated by this.

Understand: this is simply about a rule not allowing you to respond to a topic which clearly, obviously IS relevant to you and in which you are interested. And solely because the thread has not been active for some it is considered to be "dead" and your respondig to it "necro-bumping"? This is completely arbitrary and in my view is not based on any actually rational consideration. What's there to say against pursuing a conversation after everyone has become silent? Who is to decide it is "dead"?

I think as soon as anyone is taking it up again, this fact alone demonstrates the conversation is not "dead" at all. The central idea or topic of ths thread probably has still potential for discussion for ages, the one thing missing is interested participants, and I think it is a shame to not allow any such interested participant to activate it again.

Such a topic simply STAYS interesting and relevant, whether or not someone calls it "dead".

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-11-29, 23:22

Besides.... I have experience with being stalked a lot. I recognize the kind of personality. And this is what they will do (if they can, and you let them).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 17:18

Warning issued. Please don't continue this trend, and mind your rebuttals that feel very much like personal attacks on someone's behavior while all they are doing is seeing a trend and calling you out on it.

Also, locking this thread manually now. It's been well and truly concluded in April already.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite