Seamonkey 2.11-MCP

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Seamonkey 2.11-MCP

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-10, 08:47

A build of Seamonkey 2.11 with Pale Moon-alike optimizations (for as far as possible) is now available.

This is a straight-up build of the suite, and may appeal to you if you prefer the Communicator style of things, with integrated browsing, mail, chat and editor.

You can find the build here: http://ge.tt/1vgdEgL
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Seamonkey 2.11-MCP

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-10, 13:29

Moonchild,

This topic has piqued my interest. But I need to ask a question. Some background info is needed before I ask the question.

For four years, SeaMonkey was my default browser mainly because of it's look and feel of the old Netscape and the selling point for me was the email client in the suite. Since the email client was incorporated into SeaMonkey, there was no need for an outside email program such as with the case of Firefox and/with Thunderbird.

Fast forward. Starting with SeaMonkey v2.1 and beyond which now includes v2.11, SeaMonkey put in a new Data Manager which I simply hate with a purple purple passion. The new data manager made getting rid of cookies a nightmare for non technical users like myself. With the old version of SeaMonkey 2.0.14, if I had a cookie and it had 10 subcookies, in this version of SeaMonkey, all I had to do was highlight the cookie, then click on the remove button and the cookie with it's 10 subcookies were deleted.

Unfortunately, this was the not the case with the new Data Manager starting with version 2.1 and all the way through and including (v2.11). In these versions, if the same main cookie had 10 subcookies, I had to click on each individual cookie to get rid of the main cookie and it's 10 subcookies. In other words, I had to make 11 (eleven) mouse clicks. I couldn't see why eleven mouse clicks were needed in these new versions when the old versions only needed one mouse click to get rid of the main cookie and it's 10 subcookies. Very time consuming.

If I had 70 cookies and all of their subcookies, in the last good version of SeaMonkey for a non technical person like myself which was v2.0.14 (which I still use on occasion), removing those 70 cookies and their subcookies (while not removing other cookies for many sites because of login issues), it took me about 10 minutes of time to remove the cookies (and their subcookies). But with the new data manager incorporated into v2.1 and beyond, removing those same 70 cookies took over an hour's time to delete. Totally unacceptable for me and the reason why I reverted back to v2.0.14 with a brand new profile and my backed up bookmarks. A lot of non technical people like me complained and we hoped the new data manager would go the way of the dodo bird, but it didn't. This is the sole reason why I gravitated to Firefox and then onto Pale Moon (because the Firefox developers started to put things into Firefox which I didn't like and also deleted things which I liked).

My question, is the data manager in your version of SeaMonkey v2.11 the same data manager which was started in v2.1 by the SeaMonkey developers? If so, then for me, I'll just stay with SeaMonkey v2.0.14 because starting with v2.1 (and all those versions up to and including v2.11), I don't want a repeat of the frustration and aggravation of working with a data manager which I simply hate and won't work with. :x
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-10, 15:15

Note, I said:
This is a straight-up build of the suite
So the features and functions of the suite are the same as in the one released by Mozilla.
I know a lot of people hate the new data manager and that there is a lot of negativity about 2.1 and later, which is the main reason why I haven't done more with Seamonkey. Version 2.0.x though really isn't current anymore, and fails to provide proper usage as an all-in-one suite, considering the browser back-end afaik is gecko 1.9, meaning it will run into the same, increasing number of sites that don't render properly.

I'm just surprised though, if cookie management is the issue, why not use a cookie management add-on?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-08-10, 16:52

I downloaded and installed (with exe installer) and played with it for an hour. I decided it didn't offer me any more than I already want and have in PM so went to uninstall via the Control Panel. It just gave me an "Installer Integrity Check Fail" message. I re-installed and tried again with the same result, so I 'updated' it to the Mozilla 2.11 version and it uninstalled correctly.

Win 7 X84 HP

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-10, 17:11

huh, that's really odd. I didn't change ANY code whatsoever.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-10, 21:13

Moonchild wrote:Note, I said:
This is a straight-up build of the suite
So the features and functions of the suite are the same as in the one released by Mozilla.
I know a lot of people hate the new data manager and that there is a lot of negativity about 2.1 and later, which is the main reason why I haven't done more with Seamonkey. Version 2.0.x though really isn't current anymore, and fails to provide proper usage as an all-in-one suite, considering the browser back-end afaik is gecko 1.9, meaning it will run into the same, increasing number of sites that don't render properly.

I'm just surprised though, if cookie management is the issue, why not use a cookie management add-on?
I know the old SM 2.0.x versions means increasing numbers of of sites don't render properly. With SM v2.0.14, I can not access my Hotmail account anymore. It's for this reason why I went with Firefox and now with Pale Moon. PM is my main browser and FF is my backup browser. SM is my third browser and to be honest, I only use it for the internal email component. When I find nice photos to use as my Desktop, I right click on the photo, left click on "send image as" and then send the photo to my Hotmail, My Way, Excite or Yahoo email accounts. I can do this because I can use my Comcast settings in SeaMonkey since Comcast is my ISP.

As for cookie management, I could not find a cookie management add-on for SM v2.1 and beyond. Many add-on developers who use to make (write) add-ons for SeaMonkey no longer do so. One of my favorite SM add-ons was NoSquint and NoSquint won't work for SeaMonkey starting with (v2.1). The NoSquint add-on developer said he was not going to support SeaMonkey anymore. He never said why either. Something happened to change his mind and the minds of other add-on developers who no longer give their support, time and effort for SeaMonkey add-ons starting with version (2.1).

This is why I asked the question. Better to find out now without having to download it and finding the Data Manager I dislike intensely is still there, then having to uninstall your version of SeaMonkey. Thank you for making the build though. At least you give "personal feedback info" as to why you do things. I commend you for this. In my opinion, the SeaMonkey developers are just like the Mozilla Firefox developers. One one submits questions to these groups of people, one never hears or sees anything in writing back from them as to why they add or delete things.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-11, 11:33

Some things I found with a quick search:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-manager/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... ookiefast/

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Note that Seamonkey can use a lot of Firefox add-ons as well.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-11, 16:34

Thanks for the links. The "CookieFast" add-on might work for me in the newer versions of SeaMonkey and help me avoid the cookie fiasco with SM's new Data Manager.

On a side note. I've never understand why browser developers, when something is working very good, they change things which make things much more difficult to use.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-11, 19:41

Night Wing wrote:On a side note. I've never understand why browser developers, when something is working very good, they change things which make things much more difficult to use.
Um, let's see....
  • For the sake of "progress" in the view of the project managers...
  • For the sake of being innovative (change things for the sake of change, so they can say it's "new and improved")
  • It would be easier to use for a certain way of working (which may not be your way)
  • To "protect" users from "making mistakes"
  • To enforce default use (reduce amount of support needed)
  • To... (I can go on, listing all sorts of disputable reasons that not necessarily have the end user's interests at heart but rather the developers' or management's or even commercial)

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2012-08-11, 23:07

Ha! See also all those sites being optimised for iPad users. bbc.co.uk I'm looking at you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-24, 21:24

UPDATE: People have complained @ ge.tt about my Seamonkey builds not being rebranded, shouting FRAUD and similar.
It's not a requirement for Seamonkey; they are also works-in-progress, and clearly NOT trying to impersonate official Mozilla builds.
I don't want to deal with this so I've removed the binaries and will not publish any more. They can feel happy about squelching a community effort.