How do I disable or align the title in 24.3.0 and later?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Pale Moon browser and their answers.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

How do I disable or align the title in 24.3.0 and later?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-29, 23:03

This post covers 2 similar scenarios:
  1. You want to disable the display of the title in Pale Moon
  2. You want to change the alignment of the title in Pale Moon
Since the title code is potentially a problem for people using extensions that put other elements in the title bar (a side effect of it having been wasted space for a very long time in Firefox), you may want to disable display of the title in the title bar that was added to Pale Moon in version 24.3.0.
Alignment of the title also seems to be very much a personal preference that differs per user, and you may want to have the title aligned differently than your OS does by default.

Please note that these options only apply if you are using the Pale Moon application button. If you are using the classic menu, you will have a standard window layout that will not be influenced by these settings and will always use the settings determined by your operating system.

This is really simple to do, considering the title is controlled by simple CSS statements.
  1. Create or open the browser's userChrome.css file.
    You can find this in the Chrome folder under your profile
    Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[profilename]\Chrome
    Windows Vista, 7 or 8: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[profilename]\Chrome
    If the Chrome folder does not yet exist, create it!
    By default, these folders may have example userChrome and userContent files in them. You can edit the example css file, but make sure that you save it with the name userChrome.css and not with any other name, or it won't work.
    You can also quickly find your profile by going to Help -> Troubleshooting information, then clicking the "Open Folder" button under Profile.
  2. Make sure the userChrome.css file has the following @namespace line at the top:

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
  3. Add specific code below this @namespace line to make changes to the UI (see below)
  4. Save the file, and restart Pale Moon
How do I disable the title?
Add the following code below the @namespace line:

#main-window::after {
  opacity: 0 !important;
}
How do I align the title differently?
To align left, add the following code below the @namespace line:

text-align: left !important;
}
To align centered, add the following code below the @namespace line:

text-align: center !important;
}
To align right, add the following code below the @namespace line:

text-align: right !important;
}
Last edited by Moonchild on 2014-03-08, 05:01, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added alignment options, changed post layout.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How do I disable or align the title in 24.3.0 and later?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-04-21, 21:22

Should this also work in PM for Linux? I tried it and it didn't work. I know the userChrome file itself is working, because I also have the script to remove the bookmark star from the address bar, and that is working.

I am trying to left-aligned the title.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-21, 21:32

helloimustbegoing wrote:Should this also work in PM for Linux? I tried it and it didn't work. I know the userChrome file itself is working, because I also have the script to remove the bookmark star from the address bar, and that is working.

I am trying to left-aligned the title.
It doesn't apply to Linux. The title this applies to is for the custom window chrome with the Pale Moon button on Windows only. Title alignment on other operating systems depend on the title alignment as defined in the system.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-01-10, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

j_rivers

Unread post by j_rivers » 2014-06-18, 15:22

This really helps , I jumped back to firefox because the black title caption. After firefox 29 ruins the entire UI , I use palemoon again. ;)
ccc.jpg

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-09-20, 22:41

Is it possible to use bold for the title bar font? I seem to remember it like that in earlier Windows version.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-20, 23:35

back2themoon wrote:Is it possible to use bold for the title bar font? I seem to remember it like that in earlier Windows version.
You can use any styling in CSS that you prefer in the style block. Including font-weight, text shadows, colors, etc.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-09-21, 09:54

Thanks but I couldn't do it, after searching a bit. Is

font-weight: bold; - or

{
font: bold;
]

to be added somewhere? Tried various combinations with no success.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-09-21, 10:37

You have to add !important to it, or it will not override.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-09-21, 22:30

Perfect, thanks for the help. Please also let me know if you've found an easy way to optionally remove the PM text bit from the title bar. Must be more complicated since it comes from the OS.