Add-ons: What do the orange/blue indicators mean?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Pale Moon browser and their answers.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Add-ons: What do the orange/blue indicators mean?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-20, 17:04

In the add-on manager, starting with v27, Pale Moon has orange or blue indicators along with each add-on:
addonmanagerindicators.png
A blue indicator means that the extension is targeting Pale Moon natively, and has been designed/developed/published specifically with Pale Moon support.

An orange indicator means that the extension is a Firefox extension, and has been designed for Mozilla Firefox. These extensions may or may not fully work or have/cause issues. Pale Moon allows these extensions to be installed in a limited capacity to cater to existing Firefox extensions that also work in Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Luna Tic

Re: Add-ons: What do the orange/blue indicators mean?

Unread post by Luna Tic » 2016-12-20, 17:28

And what (if anything) do the black dots mean in the Search Addons list?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-20, 22:13

Luna Tic wrote:And what (if anything) do the black dots mean in the Search Addons list?
Currently nothing - it's an uncolored indicator because we don't mix search results yet.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

PhoxFyre
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by PhoxFyre » 2017-01-24, 05:28

What color will PMKit addons be?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-25, 12:35

PhoxFyre wrote:What color will PMKit addons be?
The underlying technology won't matter. PMkit will by definition target Pale Moon, so it'll be blue.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-01-26, 01:05

A suggestion. Is it possible to make it as a tooltip? In other words, when we hover on the blue or orange dot it would say "made for Firefox" or "made for Pale Moon".
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-26, 03:03

mgagnonlv wrote:A suggestion. Is it possible to make it as a tooltip? In other words, when we hover on the blue or orange dot it would say "made for Firefox" or "made for Pale Moon".
Way ahead of you there :)
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/pull/743 -> 27.1

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2017-01-27, 16:50

Great!
Thanks and keep up the good work!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-01-29, 07:44

They look red to me, not orange. :wtf:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-01-29, 18:04

gracious1 wrote:They look red to me, not orange. :wtf:
I strongly suggest you check your color calibration of your monitor, in that case (and if it has a "dynamic contrast" setting you should disable it, since it will mess up your color space severely). Or check if you may be partially color-blind.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-02-16, 22:20

Well, now, differences in perception of close neighbors on the light spectrum like orange to red have more to do with socially constructed differences (cultural or gender differences, for example) than something physical like color-blindness (which is a fault in the retina).

Anyway, my Acer Aspire V5-122P appears to be uncalibrated.

A few weeks have passed, and I have actually several GUI issues, specifically Unity giving me problems in Ubuntu, and in the process of dealing with them, I seem to have corrected whatever the issue was, because now the buttons are clearly orange.

Before that, it was an orangey-red. The closest I can reproduce to what I recall seeing is #FF3F34 (which I guess is officially called Crayola Red-Orange), which I would have called "red".

But it is definitely more clearly in the orange spectrum now.

I'm sure this is all way more information than anybody cares about! :D
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-02-16, 22:37

So if you see it as red.. That's fine.. Red for Mozilla! (least until moz://a happened but not gonna go with gross salmon pink i suspect)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-04-01, 08:24

I was wondering what those blue/orange dots were, nice idea!! :thumbup: My ratio is 10/13 blue/orange FWIW. Oh and the FF are definitely orange in my case. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising