"Can I get X or Y back?"

Frequently Asked Questions about the Pale Moon browser and their answers.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

"Can I get X or Y back?"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-05, 05:08

In general, especially for UI and looks, the answer is always going to be "Yes". Exactly how will differ depending on the situation.

But, I'm making this post because of the way people seem to approach this problem, and regularly causing a lot of unnecessary and unwarranted negativity that really doesn't help us remaining focused on making Pale Moon better.

Please understand:
  • Pale Moon evolves. This includes visual changes to the default theme, the way icons are displayed or controls in the browser.
  • This evolution will continue, whether you, as a user, might have objections to it or not -- Pale Moon is not and has never been (or meant to be) a static product, and it will have to adapt to its environment.
  • We are always open to suggestions, if they are offered in a gentlemanly fashion. We do not respond well to "OMG how dare you change your browser so it's no longer exactly the same?" or "Your features X and Y suck!" or similar. We do respond well to clear rationales and explanations why something is not working for you.
  • If it's just a matter of personal taste, then you're likely not going to get X or Y back unless you do it yourself (e.g. through a theme or userChrome.css). We generally make these changes for good underlying reasons beyond personal preference, although (see previous point) we're more than happy to listen to you if you have good reasons to dislike something.
  • Whenever something you use every day for extended periods of time changes, it'll need adjusting to. That is just human psychology at work. Give it some time for your mind to adjust, like, a couple of weeks. If after that you're still having issues with something being jarring or not working for you, bring it up, but please, for the love of Pete, keep your knee-jerk reactions under control :)
Thanks for reading.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lunalupus

Re: "Can I get X or Y back?"

Unread post by lunalupus » 2016-02-05, 10:10

So glad that MC has bought this to our attention. I have no idea how many times I have been tempted to reply to a post which is complaining about some minor, personal triviality and expecting an immediate response. We, as Pale Moon users are spoiled by having the use of this forum. Please don't abuse it. Has anyone ever tried to contact Firefox or Chrome with a problem? I rest my case.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: "Can I get X or Y back?"

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-02-06, 12:52

lunalupus wrote:So glad that MC has bought this to our attention. I have no idea how many times I have been tempted to reply to a post which is complaining about some minor, personal triviality and expecting an immediate response. We, as Pale Moon users are spoiled by having the use of this forum. Please don't abuse it. Has anyone ever tried to contact Firefox or Chrome with a problem? I rest my case.
The very best of british luck if anyone can contact those 2 organisations at all with any form of communication.They are as you would say "incommunicado" in terms of contact.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1