Working Solution for the Estonian ID Card in PM 25+

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
andres99

Working Solution for the Estonian ID Card in PM 25+

Unread post by andres99 » 2015-04-16, 12:11

The Estonian ID card is a smart card for official authentication. It works with major browsers, including Firefox. However, after Pale Moon switched its GUID, the Estonian ID Card software just ignores Pale Moon and will not install automatically. (For Estonians: Järgnevalt ingliskeelne juhend, kuidas saada ID-kaart tööle brauseriga Pale Moon.) There are two ways of making it work. Here is what I did:

Method 1

(1) Install the ID Card software from https://installer.id.ee/.

(2) In a file manager, go to the folder called "Firefox PKCS11 Loader" (in my computer under c:\Program Files\Estonian ID Card\).

(3) Zip the contents of that folder so that install.rdf and chrome.manifest will be in the zip's root.

(4) Change the extension of the zipped file from ".zip" into ".xpi".

(5) Install the xpi file manually into Pale Moon as addon (Pale Moon menu: Tools -> Addons -> Extensions -> gearwheel icon -> Install Addon from File -> choose the xpi file that you created and then install it.

After that, the ID card has been working all right here. Basically what I did was installing the Firefox extension for loading the ID card in Pale Moon.

Method 2

The support team of the ID card refused from coding any support for Pale Moon (as usual, it is harder to argue with software developers for a feature than going to court). However, they suggested a workaround, which I did not try myself:

(1) Install the ID Card software from https://installer.id.ee/.

(2) In Pale Moon, go to menu: Tools > Options > Advanced > Certificates > Security Devices

(3) Click "Load" and leave Module Name as is.

(4) Click Browse and choose the path to the onepin-opensc-pkcs11.dll library (located in C:\Windows\System32\) -> then click OK.

Should work now. This method is a solution without the Firefox extension. I do not know if it will remember the ID card for the next session or not by this method.

jdbenavent

Re: Working Solution for the Estonian ID Card in PM 25+

Unread post by jdbenavent » 2015-04-22, 08:38

The second method is the one I followed to use the Spanish ID Card (DNI-e) in Firefox. But it does not work in Pale Moon.

The problem is that when the DLL library is selected and click the OK, nothing happens. The new security device is not added to the device list.

I'll try the first method as I can.

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2015-08-25, 12:42

Sadly, neither of the solutions worked for me with Pale Moon 25.6.0 (x64) on Win 7 x64. :(

[edit]

But the first solution does work with Pale Moon x86. Thanks! :)

Kalts

Unread post by Kalts » 2016-12-14, 22:12

The second method works for me with Version: 27.0.2 (x86) on Windows 7 x64.

Maybe it is not obvious but the Firefox plugin is x86 only. This is briefly mentioned at the end of document http://www.id.ee/public/Open-EID_3.12_u ... v6_EST.pdf. I am forced to use Windows 7 x64 and previously ran native 27.0.2 (x64) version. Replaced the native x64 version with x86 one, then registered onepin-opensc-pkcs11.dll library as shown in andres99 posting. I am able to authenticate using ID card to eesti.ee and two different online banking sites. Have not tried signing yet but for some reason the plugin for signing (Firefox Token Signing Plugin 3.12.0.1143, npesteid-firefox-plugin.dll) was present in Palemoon right after ID software installer finished. The onepin-opensc-pkcs11.dll library had to be manually registered.
That's all folks, at least for this particular OS and Palemoon combination!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-15, 19:45

These kinds of plugins are often not supplied in 64-bit binary formats. One of the main reasons I am using 32-bits myself is because I have several authentication plugins that are 32-bit only.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite