Block all pop-ups by default

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
jumba

Block all pop-ups by default

Unread post by jumba » 2014-02-23, 13:03

Pale Moon has a pop-up blocker implemented but many sites are easily bypassing it. I searched for a solution to block all pop-ups by default. The check box in the options dialog certainly doesn't do this and there is no other configuration there expect the "exceptions...". The solution is to use about:config.

The entry dom.popup_allowed_events controls the pop-up events that are allowed by the pop-up blocker. The web sites are using this information to implement events for pop-ups triggered by the users, e.g. clicking a button or the page content. By default the entry contains values of "change click dblclick mouseup reset submit touchend" which means that those events are allowed on all sites by default to make a pop-up. To block all pop-ups by default simply remove all the allowed events from the entry so that the value for it shows as blank.

In short:
  1. Write about:config to the url bar, enter and accept the warning message
  2. search for popup
  3. double click the dom.popup_allowed_events
  4. remove everything from the value field
After this the next time you are browsing any site that tries to show a pop-up for you, PM will display a message that it prevented the site from opening it with the options to show the blocked pop-up window or to allow all pop-ups for the site in future.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.popup_allowed_events

Please note:
Moonchild wrote:The confirmation usually requires a reload of the page, which very often will not work for web applications.
Last edited by jumba on 2015-09-20, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

mike18xx

Re: Block all pop-ups by default

Unread post by mike18xx » 2015-07-20, 21:00

That's nice, but....

-- Now I'll be bombarded with a confirmation box every time (which is every bit as annoying of a pop-up as the other kind).

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-07-21, 11:49

You can easy allow popups for websites temporary or for ever.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-07-21, 15:21

mike18xx wrote:That's nice, but....

-- Now I'll be bombarded with a confirmation box every time (which is every bit as annoying of a pop-up as the other kind).
What confirmation box? Do you mean the notification bar of a blocked popup?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-18, 03:14

Sweet!! I never notice how many pop-ups Pale Moon missed, thanks jumba! :)
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-19, 17:47

And at the same time you will break a number of sites that use popups for proper reasons, like clicking a button to pop out a stream or start a support chat ;)

In other words, your mileage may vary doing this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-19, 18:02

Can't confirm this. If a site realy need this, we get the message then a popup is blocked and then just allow it.
Works for any sites i visit.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-20, 06:44

Moonchild wrote:And at the same time you will break a number of sites that use popups for proper reasons, like clicking a button to pop out a stream or start a support chat ;)

In other words, your mileage may vary doing this.

Hmmmm, I see your point. Well...... This is a hard one, hmmmm.......
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-20, 08:04

It works like Dark_moon said. Sites do not get broken because of this. Opening a popup just requires user confirmation for sites that are not white listed.

Another option is to blacklist sites setting the site permissions per site and allow popups by default. Your choice.
Last edited by jumba on 2015-09-20, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-20, 08:04

The confirmation usually requires a reload of the page, which very often will not work for web applications.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-20, 08:25

I'll add a warning about it to the tutorial then, although I have never seen a web app to require reload or to get broken because of this.

Anyway, I hate popups and I hate sites that abuse popups. Blocking popups by default works for me. In my opinion it should not be in any spec that sites are allowed to open new browser windows without user permission.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-20, 08:32

Couldn't agree with you more jumba. I think I will whitelist any pop-ups that are wrongly blocked by this configuration.
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-09-20, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-20, 08:50

Moonchild wrote:The confirmation usually requires a reload of the page, which very often will not work for web applications.
Nope.
Just allow the website and the popup opens.

So user have no disadvantages with blocking all popups by default.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-20, 19:49

dark_moon wrote:Nope.
Just allow the website and the popup opens.
Sometimes, yes.

Like I said, your mileage may vary.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-21, 04:33

Anyway, I hate popups and I hate sites that abuse popups. Blocking popups by default works for me. In my opinion it should not be in any spec that sites are allowed to open new browser windows without user permission.
This is something that has been annoying me too! There is at least one on Amazon - 'Eligible for free delivery'. Click 'details' and you get a pop-up.

The main selling point for why I switched to Mozilla's browser all the long years ago was tabbed browsing, and until this past year that's all I've been doing. You know, when I click 'Open new windows in a tab instead', I'm not wavering.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-02-09, 01:51

I always open links in a new tab.
Learned that lesson when I landed on a CNet site and received an avalanche of "click-me" popups. :evil:
- it's easier to kill a tab and be rid of them than to try "Previous" on the same tab.

CNet is blocked in cookie "Exceptions" ... but how (and where) do I block CNet completely ?
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-02-09, 02:04

bawldiggle wrote:I always open links in a new tab.
Learned that lesson when I landed on a CNet site and received an avalanche of "click-me" popups. :evil:
- it's easier to kill a tab and be rid of them than to try "Previous" on the same tab.

CNet is blocked in cookie "Exceptions" ... but how (and where) do I block CNet completely ?
Are you using Pale Moon v26 or v27? If you're using Pale Moon v27, this preference is broken or has been restricted. I'm guessing it was changed in Firefox v35-38, because I had no problems with it through v29-34 of Firefox. Also, this preference only block pop-ups, not the the whole domain or even a domain. Albeit, you can't block CNET completely, only it's pop-ups.

EDIT: It miraculously works again! I wonder what happen? Remind me to always retest certain features/functions once a program is out of beta/alpha state.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2017-02-09, 05:22

v26.4.1 (x86)

I was waiting for new v27.00 and let the dust settle before committing to the new generation of PM
- nervous for my important extensions, that might (or not) work in PM-27.xx

In the mean time PM on my laptop is so unstable I have had to resort to FF, just to have a browser that works
- not PM's fault -- I have had PM on this machine since Feb-2013 which I consider to be an excellent run
- new profiles simply have not worked, so a clean install is scheduled in the next day or two

I think v27.0.3 will be the best bet, rather than legacy version.
- bite the bullet and see how my extensions perform

Thanks for your response :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-02-26, 04:49

bawldiggle wrote:Thanks for your response :)
You're most welcome.... please upgrade asap. The latest is v27.1.1 :D.

Oh, now I remember exactly why I didn't retest this feature. Facebook (possibly, the new code in this area of the browser is restricted as it is in Firefox?), somehow has blocked this functionality in Pale Moon.

Candylango

Unread post by Candylango » 2017-03-08, 15:58

Thank you Jumba. i mistakenly allowed a pop up on a site and could not find how to block it again. your post did exactly what i was looking to do. much appreciated my friend keep up the good work. :thumbup: