How to install the avast! AV Webrep Add-On in Pale Moon

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Snappy Phoenix

How to install the avast! AV Webrep Add-On in Pale Moon

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2014-01-13, 18:37

When you install avast! Antivirus, it will not install the Webrep add-on for Pale Moon as it only supports IE, Chrome, or Firefox

Here is an easy workaround that will enable to install the avast! webrep add-on and have it completely functional:

1) Navigate to: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\FF

2) Highlight all the files in that folder, then right click on them and choose SEND TO > Compressed (Zipped) Folder

You will get a message saying:

"Windows cannot create the Compressed (zipped) Folder here. Do you want it to be placed on the desktop instead?"

Choose YES

3) Go to your desktop, you will find a file named: content.zip

Rename that file to content.xpi (I personally rename it to avast! webrep.xpi)

Note: You must have "Have extensions for known file types" unchecked in the Control Panel > Folder options to be able to see the file extension

4) Now open your Pale Moon Browser, then go to Add-Ons

5) Click on the small wrench icon on the top right, then choose Install Add-On

6) Navigate to the location where you placed the avast webrep add-on and double click on it to install it then restart your browser when prompted

I have tested the add-on with Pale Moon and it works perfectly, both the site reputation and the search result safe or dangerous site notifications

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How to install the avast! AV Webrep Add-On in Pale Moon

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-01-13, 23:26

Good tip, thanks. Since it works fine, it'd be a good idea to contact them, asking to make it natively compatible with PM.

Snappy Phoenix

Unread post by Snappy Phoenix » 2014-01-15, 15:30

back2themoon wrote:Good tip, thanks. Since it works fine, it'd be a good idea to contact them, asking to make it natively compatible with PM.

Ticket submitted to avast! support: Ticket ID #FLT-390-68642
As we know, Pale Moon is a modified Firefox based browser that is built on the same source code but improved to support new hardware such as Multi-Core CPUs and offers very fast browsing similar to the speed of Google Chrome but with the beautiful interface of Firefox and total support for its Add-Ons.

The problem is, avast! Antivirus Pro does not support Pale Moon official and I have manually installed the avast! Web Rep add-on and it works flawlessly.

The solution to install it is posted on my forums: http://forums.tweakarena.com/showthread.php?t=250

I kindly ask you to please support Pale Moon so that users don't have to do this manually as Pale Moon's user database is HUGE and continuously growing

I am a new avast! AV Pro user and I hope you can forward this to the concerned team it shouldn't take much work as the same add-on works flawlessly on Pale Moon it's just a matter of having the avast! installer put the add-on in the appropriate folder of Pale Moon

WickedGirl

Unread post by WickedGirl » 2014-01-30, 04:06

Any way to perform this handy trick with Norton Internet Security as well? I looked for the path to zip, but it is not immediately obvious to me.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2014-01-31, 02:58

@WickedGirl: The answer is both Yes & No for this one! And it's more "linkies" to read starting with: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 239#p18167 :)

Note that the "unpacked" NIS Add-ons are both hidden folders. The NVP Add-on probably works ok although that remains unproven, and anyway I doubt it is better than Mozilla's built-in Safebrowsing system? The Toolbar Add-on would not populate properly, and as I didn't want to use it I didn't pursue a fix!

BTW - I waved goodbye to Norton NIS 3 weeks back :wave: (all machines now Kaspersky KIS 2014 :D ) so no longer any means of testing here!

WickedGirl

Unread post by WickedGirl » 2014-02-03, 02:02

Hiya Blacklab! I used Kaspersky for years on all my security test machine desktops. I use Norton for my mom, my spouse and on my laptop, because frankly, it was easier in my spouse's and mom's cases and Norton used fewer resources than Kaspersky up until recently. Now, Norton is back on the poopy list for resource usage according to the independent lab testers, and they are being stingy with rebates too, so it looks like Kaspersky or BitDefender for me this year. Kaspersky had the best resource usage score, although I cannot see how. I loaded it onto my laptop recently (with a fresh OS install natch), and what a POS! For me at any rate. I hate, hate, hate the new look too. I have hated every year that they have subtly changed it since 2008. Gaah! Plus, and this is my biggest issue...I have been posting requests for help with various issues in the Kaspersky forums for years. The same mods are there, and some of them are real pricks! Condescending, unhelpful and arrogant. Not my bag baby. However, I never pay for my internet security suites, and I view hogging my PC 's resources as a no-no, so Kaspersky may have to be it this year. That was all off topic, so let me jump back on.

Thank you kindly for the information and the linky. You are correct, of course, having Norton working inside Pale Moon is really not important in the grand scheme of things. I was mainly curious, because I have a little problem. I cannot resist making something work when major developers/companies like Microsoft, Norton, Roboform, etc. refuse to officially support something and I think their reasoning is illogical and stupid. :shh: I love me some minor, noob hacking. Teehee! Thanks again. I will read that link. And, if anyone else has some forum links on Pale Moon topics that I should learn about and they think I would benefit from reading, feel free to PM them to me.

Blacklab wrote:@WickedGirl: The answer is both Yes & No for this one! And it's more "linkies" to read starting with: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 239#p18167 :)

Note that the "unpacked" NIS Add-ons are both hidden folders. The NVP Add-on probably works ok although that remains unproven, and anyway I doubt it is better than Mozilla's built-in Safebrowsing system? The Toolbar Add-on would not populate properly, and as I didn't want to use it I didn't pursue a fix!

BTW - I waved goodbye to Norton NIS 3 weeks back :wave: (all machines now Kaspersky KIS 2014 :D ) so no longer any means of testing here!

dukfinx

Unread post by dukfinx » 2014-06-11, 10:11

Hello, I have been using Pale moon for about 2 weeks. Furthermore I also use avast! and I I have another (may be easier) way to do this. So hope it help
- Make sure Pale moon is not running.
- Creat a new txt file.
- Open it and type the address of Avast weprep (default is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\FF).
- Save it.
- Edit the file name to wrc@avast.com (not wrc@avast.com.txt). This is the ID of this add-on, com is not the file type, like fdm_ffext@freedownloadmanager.org is the ID of Free Download Manager add-on.
- Copy this file to extensions folder in your Pale moon profile.
Next time PM start, it will ask you to install new add-on.
Free download manager an be install this way, too.

KTMan

Unread post by KTMan » 2014-07-06, 07:09

Blacklab, If you've been using Kaspersky for years can you offer a way to get their add-ons working in palemoon?.. just switched away from norton 360 due to their jerking me around in auto renewals and their less then acceptable protection. You wouldn't believe how much cleaning up was needed with malwarebytes and hitman pro after norton 360.Quite a disappointment but now I got lots of speed and resources back so it seems. If not Kaspersky what other suite might there be support for?. I really want the add-ons for sake of family activities on various computers. Really hate to ditch either Palemoon or Kas but ones gonna have to go if I can't get the browser functions. Same issue maybe the root of my 360 issues eh, no browser support. Kaspersky doesn't seem to care to support and is content with support for the major browsers. Palemoon mixed with xmarks has been the most stable yet sleek browser for me ever...what to do, what to do. Threads on their forum say it's not even possible: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?sh ... l=palemoon

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-07-06, 19:44

KTMan, in your Kaspersky forum link they mention the 64-bit version of Pale Moon. Why don't you use the recommended (by its author) 32-bit version of Pale Moon? It should have no issues with the Kaspersky plug-ins and even if it does, they should be relatively easy to fix by them.

KTMan

Unread post by KTMan » 2014-07-07, 00:27

I have both 32bit and 64bit and neither shows or offer's KIS add-on's upon startup or via the add on manager. On IE a box just popped up asking if I wanted them in there.
In trying to get them in via direct file install option in the manager there is no *.xpi or *jar files under the Kas directory FFExt that the Palemoon would want. They are *.rdf install files under each add-on sub folder.(does that make them extension add-on's or are they plugin's). The file tree structure has a chrome sub folder sitting in each sub folder as well which is odd being there is a main chromeExt folder higher up along with the FFExt and IEExt. Chrome and IE's files look to be dll's. Confused because based on another thread in here http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2516 our developer stated to the effect that plugins are different then add-on extensions and that extensions should work in either versions of the program. So what exactly are the KIS/KAS browser tools, they get broke on FF updates so are they plugin's?
Following thread implies that no one has the add-ons working in FF so why should we expect them to work in Palemoon?
http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/ ... 77520.html
Some folks, like the last poster in there, seem to think that the protection suite still performs all it's protection duties regardless. Hard to believe that. The browser tools are:
URL Advisor
Dangerous Websites Blocker
Safe Money
Virtual Keyboard
& a Banner Blocker

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-07-07, 08:42

Well, if they don't even properly support Firefox then it's probably time to change your security software. Alternatively, you can use IE for those features. I'm happy with the Outpost Security Suite but it doesn't have these kind of features.

KTMan

Unread post by KTMan » 2014-07-07, 19:26

For the in browser features of most security suites I would question if any of them keep updated with FF. Way I read it the design of it is not the same as IE with respect to not breaking compatability on each update. Norton which I just moved from had same issue as I don't recall seeing in browser tools or protections when I ran FF or Palemoon but do remember all their little yellow icon stuff in IE. I have Palemoon as my default currently and gave it a good little test this morning by browsing the darker side of the net. KIS killed hundreds of banner and popup type objects so that says a far better deal happening with it than Norton. For financial stuff I was able to click on KIS's local program and it brings up secured browser and virtual keyboard in an IE window regardless of my default being Palemoon....Being it was blocking stuff in palemoon browser I perhaps am not loosing any of it's actual protections, maybe just a little convenience on the Safeweb/financial side of things. Time will tell. Gonna run a Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro now to see what may have got through...
P.S.- Malwarebytes and HitmanPro offered up zero threats..I'll probably be keeping KIS for awhile, would be interesting to see what avast or avg would have allowed through but not much of a tester these days.