PDF document reading in PMx64

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
jumba

PDF document reading in PMx64

Unread post by jumba » 2013-10-26, 08:10

Using Pale Moon x64, you may have noticed that you cannot view the pdf files in the browser. This is because you are using 64 bit browser that doesn't support 32 bit plugins. There are different ways to overcome this problem.

1. To open PDF files directly in external reader
If your favorite pdf reader, e.g. Adobe Reader, doesn't have support for 64 bit, you can configure Pale Moon to open PDF files directly in the external pdf reader, without opening the save/open dialog first.
This can be done from Options->Applications->PDF Document and choosing your favorite pdf viewer. Next time you open a page containing pdf document Pale Moon should automatically open it in the configured application.

2. To open PDF files inside the browser
If you have used to this behavior and don't want to open external applications to view pdf documents you must use a reader that has a 64 bit compatible plugin or enable the internal pdf viewer that comes in Pale Moon called pdf.js.

2.1 Enabling pdf.js
Write about:config in the navigation bar, search for pdf and set as below:

Code: Select all

pdfjs.disabled         false
pdfjs.firstRun         false
You may also need to change the option to "Preview in Pale Moon" in "Options->Applications->PDF Document".

2.2 Using alternative 64bit compatible PDF readers
Tested and recommended: Other untested and proprietary pdf readers, you may post feedback on how they are working for you and other info or alternative readers.
Last edited by jumba on 2013-10-26, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

JBGood

Re: PDF document reading in PMx64

Unread post by JBGood » 2013-10-26, 09:35

Hi jumba,

Thanks for the information and for the links.

One question regarding SumatraPDF:

I have SumatraPDF 2.4 32-bit installed, which I had downloaded from it's home-site, that is: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sum ... iewer.html
You propose a download folder which is: http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/sumatrapdf/

On my downloads page there is neither 2.5 nor 64-bit version. Both sites are different, apparently. I admit being touchy about multiple official sites for one same application.
Could you please provide any further explanation about this disparity?

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2013-10-26, 11:03

Good question, needs more explanations! I don't know how correct and detailed info I can give, but here's what I know.

Some facts:
SumatraPDF official homepage is http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sum ... eader.html
They don't provide 64 bit builds. Thus, there isn't any official 64 bit SumatraPDF! Some info why not: http://code.google.com/p/sumatrapdf/wik ... 4bitBuilds
SumatraPDF is open-source so anyone can compile it and provide unofficial builds. This is the same as there are unofficial 64 bit builds of Firefox.
Xhmikosr provides unofficial 64 bit compiled builds of SumatraPDF. They are based on pre-release (nightly) builds of SumatraPDF, thus the higher version number. More info here: http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/sumatrapdf/Info.md

Hopefully this answered your question :)

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2013-10-26, 11:15

Thanks, jumba

I sent to VirusTotal the 2.5 x64 build of SumatraPDF and the result is 0/47 ( http://preview.tinyurl.com/qyhgett ) for file http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/sumatrapdf/SumatraPDF-2.5-x64-install.exe, clean therefore as official 2.4 32-bit.

I understand the Open Source implications, I was figuring them out after my first post when I digged a bit further the SumatraPDF environment.

Have you tested SumatraPDF 2.5 x64? I guess you have.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2013-10-26, 11:27

Yes, I'm using it as my default pdf reader and it works perfectly with PMx64! Other 3rd party readers I didn't test if they work or not, so it's up to you if you want to test them. They are more feature richer than SumatraPDF.

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2013-10-26, 11:44

OK, jumba,

Perhaps I'll try it, even if the main advantage here for a 64-bit PDF reader is the ability to have its plug-in available (when applicable and it is with SumatraPDF) on a 64-bit browser (here mighty Pale Moon!), enabling pdf file reading within the browser.
SumatraPDF 2.4 32-bit otherwise suits me perfectly, since I do not rely on a plug-in, since in fact I deny plug-ins whenever possible.

Nice to know anyway the availability of this 2.5 64-bit. I know the official site is about to release a new version, beta stage right now, but I ignore if it will have 64-bit available.

Sarris

Unread post by Sarris » 2013-10-26, 12:34

I've been using PDF-XChange Viewer x64 for the last few years without issue. In fact, I was so pleased I purchased the Pro version late last year.

The also offer a Firefox (Pale Moon) plugin so you can double click a PDF file and it opens, no problem.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-10-27, 17:35

Thx for post the info about sumatrapdf x64!
I love this programm and a 64bit version is realy nice.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-10-28, 03:44

Sadly I will stick with the official bloatware since it seems that this is the only that can manage signatures in PDF documents. :(

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-10-28, 04:44

Oh. Didn't see that. Hmm thats bad :(

DAC324

Unread post by DAC324 » 2013-12-11, 16:04

jumba wrote:Using Pale Moon x64, you may have noticed that you cannot view the pdf files in the browser. This is because you are using 64 bit browser that doesn't support 32 bit plugins. There are different ways to overcome this problem.

2.2 Using alternative 64bit compatible PDF readers
Tested and recommended:
Unfortunately, Sumatra PDF x64 does not work any more with Pale Moon. The plugin appears in about:plugins but if it is chosen for displaying PDFs inside the browser, all I get is a blank page.

Kind regards,
DAC324

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2013-12-15, 17:55

DAC324 wrote: Unfortunately, Sumatra PDF x64 does not work any more with Pale Moon. The plugin appears in about:plugins but if it is chosen for displaying PDFs inside the browser, all I get is a blank page.

Kind regards,
DAC324
It is still working for me just fine. I don't know what might be the problem here. You could try reinstalling Sumatra and/or try with clean pale moon profile.

wildbill5891
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by wildbill5891 » 2014-01-10, 18:46

I have been using the 64bit version of Foxit Reader for several years without a problem.

mojo-chan

Unread post by mojo-chan » 2014-09-29, 08:56

The current x64 version of Sumatra PDF does not include the browser plug-in any more as far as I can tell. I use Chrome and it doesn't offer to install it, because Chrome x64 doesn't support the NSAPI system any more. I'm not sure about Pale Moon.

LmaoZedong

Unread post by LmaoZedong » 2014-10-11, 20:04

Whats the best way to view pdfs inside Pale Moon? pdf.js?

riccardo

Unread post by riccardo » 2014-12-08, 16:18

It would be great if someone compiled the previous release (with the plugin) for x64. Here is the source code for the last release providing the plugin: https://kjkpub.s3.amazonaws.com/sumatra ... 5.2-src.7z

riccardo

Unread post by riccardo » 2014-12-09, 09:38

Of course, if someone with the old x64 plugin could please share it, it would be easier than compiling. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-09, 11:14

Rather easy since I have VS2012 and they supplied a vs project solution for that.

Built with x64+release, and zipped up all resulting dll and exe files (including the np*.dll plugin). No installer since building the installer is a pain and the build scripts don't cater to x64 on Windows.

Download from: The Pale Moon FTP server about 7MB
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

riccardo

Unread post by riccardo » 2014-12-09, 11:48

Thank you so much, Moonchild! The plugin works perfectly!

vrubleg

Unread post by vrubleg » 2015-03-26, 21:50

Moonchild, thank you for this x64 build. I thought that isn't possible to use SumatraPDF in x64 browser.