How to disable Ruffle in the Wayback Machine

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

How to disable Ruffle in the Wayback Machine

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-07-29, 04:27

The Wayback Machine has many Flash-using sites preserved from that plug-in’s zenith in the 00s. As Pale Moon supports NPAPI by policy (and its UI resembles traditional Firefox and can be made identical with certain themes), it is the natural choice for browsing these sites in their natural state. Alas, changes within the last few days have caused the Archive to substitute Ruffle, a Flash emulator written in Rust, by default. This renders Flash assets on these archived sites inoperable in Pale Moon. Fortunately, the Archive preserves the original assets beside running this shim for other, iconoclastic browsers.

A specific script, ruffle.js, is at fault for this. In µBlock0, adding the following to My filters will block it and restore the original assets.

Code: Select all

||web.archive.org/_static/js/ruffle.js
※I credit Andy Prough for suggesting I post this technic here.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.