How to block undesirable Localhost access

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Garland
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: How to block undesirable Localhost access

Unread post by Garland » 2023-10-18, 14:56

Raava wrote:
2023-10-15, 21:19
Would the 127.0.0.1 entry appear in what I call eM's "main display"?
Yes. I think you did everything correctly. It appears spectrum.net doesn't behave the same in Europe. But you can use my experience with spectrum.net as evidence that eMatrix successfully blocks some Localhost access when this filter list is added.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-18, 16:17

When I add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBloc ... -block.txt to my uBlock 1.16.4.30 it says the blocklist is using 1 of 1 filters. Don't think the legacy version supports this list?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-10-18, 16:35

Garland wrote:
2023-10-18, 14:56
I think you did everything correctly. It appears spectrum.net doesn't behave the same in Europe.
Strange how websites behave differently. Is your geolocation traced to Northern America (USA / Canada) or Australia by any chance? [Not that such geolocation used by websites based on your IP address is always accurate] Seems the EU with its many flaws when it comes to many things, at least are not that bad consumer-privacy-protection-wise for the Internet compared to the US or Canada.

Could it be that's the reason some websites like spectrum.net behave differently?
Garland wrote:
2023-10-18, 14:56
But you can use my experience with spectrum.net as evidence that eMatrix successfully blocks some Localhost access when this filter list is added.
That's a good thing to know. Image
fatboy wrote:
2023-10-18, 16:17
When I add https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBloc ... -block.txt to my uBlock 1.16.4.30 it says the blocklist is using 1 of 1 filters. Don't think the legacy version supports this list?
Just curious, under which category entry does that filterlist appear in your chrome://ublock0/content/dashboard.html#3p-filters.html ?
yours truly, Rava