How to add new search engines in the form of OpenSearch XML to Pale Moon

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

How to add new search engines in the form of OpenSearch XML to Pale Moon

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-19, 16:33

Assumed you downloaded the XML file and currently have the XML file. You can copy it to the searchplugins directory under your current Pale Moon profile (if said directory is not available, create it). After that, Pale Moon will pick up the search engine in the XML file. Don't know if a restart is needed or not but I restarted Pale Moon anyway.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to add new search engines in the form of OpenSearch XML to Pale Moon

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-06-20, 07:05

Who asked? This is already well known, and in most cases is redundant since Pale Moon detects search engines that advertise the format and you can directly add them from the search engine menu without messing around with XML directly. Or just rightclick on a search field and use 'add a keyword for this search', to save it as a search bookmark.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-20, 08:50

moonbat wrote:
2022-06-20, 07:05
Who asked? This is already well known, and in most cases is redundant since Pale Moon detects search engines that advertise the format and you can directly add them from the search engine menu without messing around with XML directly. Or just rightclick on a search field and use 'add a keyword for this search', to save it as a search bookmark.
I posted what useful to me. No one asked and I don't care. Understand? What your described is the optimial situation. What I'm dealing with is I'm only have the XML. This obscure search engine currently in it beta and the developer only gives you a XML. When you click on this XML or drag it to Pale Moon, the XML will be displayed don't like what you expected that Pale Moon will auto detect it's an OpenSearch XML and auto add it. Got it? After a while of searching I found where Pale Moon put these OpenSearch XML and wrote this howto.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-06-20, 09:19

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-20, 08:50
I posted what useful to me. No one asked and I don't care. Understand?
Watch your tone around here. Quit spamming this place with useless threads. This isn't your personal blog or diary. Understand?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX