How to get back the old download manager

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
critter

How to get back the old download manager

Unread post by critter » 2013-04-14, 14:01

Go to "Program Files\Pale Moon\distribution\bundles"
and delete the status bar folder, close palemoon and reopen "if you do not want the status bar"
I do not use it myself and I do not know if this step is required to get the old download manager back, it may work without this step
and then go to "about:config"

find---- browser.download.panel.shown; change to false

then find---- browser.download.useToolkitUI change to true

close palemoon and reopen old download behaver will be back

dark_moon

Re: How to get back the old download manager

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-04-14, 14:17

Or easy: PM button - arrow right from settings - status options and set the checkbox for using the old manager.

Look here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=2408

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-18, 21:01

OP: This is a bad set of instructions. Deleting the statusbar code bundle will also remove the status bar functionality so you will completely lose the status bar that is intended to be an integrated part of the browser. It has nothing to do with which download manager you are preferring and you are removing essential unrelated functionality.

Dark_moon's instructions, also explained in the detailed changelog for v20 (see the announcements board http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392 ) are the way to do this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-04-20, 12:35

Well I have never liked the way downloads work in the statusbar so I have just completely removed it, when I download a file I just use the normal download box and do not want the download arrow or ANY information in the statusbar and no matter what I did some type of information would always be in the statusbar and I could never get rid of it altogether, so I just thought for what I want it would be the best just to remove the statusbar, if I could get rid of this behavior I would give the statusbar a second look, Anyway to do this??? :thumbup:

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-04-20, 13:08

@critter: Your solution to your problem is drastic to say the least and not a suitable method to achieve your desired goal and then recommend to other users, as moonchild has already said. You should be able to customize how your downloads are displayed and also remove the download arrow (or any other items in the statusbar) into the customize box. Also, a straightforward way to get rid of the status bar is available in the menu options, you can hide the status bar permanently by going to Menu -> options -> status bar: uncheck

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-04-20, 14:18

Well maybe I should reinstall palemoon and try what you posted, maybe something has changed in the updates since I had done this which has been quite a while ago, at that time there was no way of removing the status bar or at least best I can remember and if you tried to remove ALL download info from the status bar that would not work either, maybe something has changed, actually I wouldn't mine having the status bar as long as I didn't get two notations of downloads "one in the download box and one in the status bar"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-04-21, 02:05

If you don't want the download status indicator in the status bar, then you should use "customize" to remove the indicator from the status bar. This is also the default from v20 onwards considering there is a download button in the main navigation bar. You can decide which indicators you want and which you don't want, and decide where you want them with the Customize option. Play with it - you'll see Pale Moon is very flexible in terms of personalization!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

britnilinda

Unread post by britnilinda » 2013-07-19, 19:00

In Firefox 20, Download Manager is now a part of Library.When you're downloading a file, that button changes to a progress meter, showing you the time remaining. And if you click it, you'll see a drop-down menu with your three most recent downloads.
Previously, you had to press Ctrl-J to bring up Firefox's download manager, which is still the keyboard shortcut—except that now download manager is part of the Library, home of your browser history, tags, and bookmarks

1. Open a new tab.
2. Type about:config, then press Enter.
3. Paste the following into the search field: browser.download.useToolkitUI
4. Under the Value field, right-click false and then click Toggle. That should set the Value to "true."
5. Restart Firefox.

Now, when you click that Download button or hit Ctrl-J, you'll get the old-school download manager. And if you decide you prefer the new one after all, just repeat the process. :)

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-07-19, 22:14

A much simpler way to get back the old download manager is this: Go to menu -> tools -> status bar options -> downloads - use classic download window - check

critter

Unread post by critter » 2013-07-21, 15:50

I have done a complete reinstall of Palemoon and now use the status bar and have the old download manager, I guess I was wrong in the way I was doing this, seems to be working great now :D