How to create a new useragent override string in Pale Moon

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

How to create a new useragent override string in Pale Moon

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-30, 19:59

Some websites engage in useragent sniffing rather than using other methods to determine if your browser has the proper technology. This can subject Pale Moon users to browser discrimination, but there is a workaround. For these websites, you can create a useragent override. In this tutorial, we will use the randomly chosen site Kroger.com as an example. (Note: You may not need to create a useragent override to access this site on your particular system; this is just to illustrate how one might do it.) Let's go!
  1. Open about:config (Click "I promise to be careful!")
  2. Anywhere in the content are, right-click and select New -> String
  3. In the dialog box, add this as the preference name:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.kroger.com
  4. For the string value, enter one of these choices:
    1. For GNU/Linux, enter

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
    2. For Windows 7, enter

Mozilla 5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
    3. For Windows 10, enter

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
    4. For Mac OS X High Sierra, enter

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 (Pale Moon)
  5. Click "OK", then return to kroger.com and see whether you can now access it.
For other websites, substitute the appropriate domain name.
You may also have to tweak other pieces of the useragent string to make it work for other sites (e.g., change version from "56" to "57"). This has been just one example to get you started.
HTH Image
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-12-30, 20:48, edited 17 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to create a new useragent override string in Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-01, 14:41

Windows 7 is NT 6.1
Also, what string needs to be entered depends highly on why one needs an override to begin with -- you may want to be less specific.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-01-26, 15:38

Moonchild wrote:...you may want to be less specific.
Yep, I was right, I just had to take the preloaded override for WhatsApp Web, and change the OS portion of the user agent to "Linux x86_64" so that they wouldn't ask me to download the client for Windows when I'm on a Linux-based OS.

jgbittar

Unread post by jgbittar » 2018-12-01, 02:50

Thanks very much to everyone that provided assistance it worked. thanks to all jorge