How to fix an HTML5 video issue with Pale Moon on Windows 10

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
tenseys
Lunatic
Lunatic

How to fix an HTML5 video issue with Pale Moon on Windows 10

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-09, 16:42

This tutorial explains how to fix a specific HTML5 MP4/H.264 video problem that affects the Pale Moon browser on some Windows 10 computers.

The video related issues this tutorial fixes in Pale Moon on Windows 10 include:

1.YouTube videos won't play in HD. They stay stuck in 360p.
2. Some sites like CNN for example won't play videos. Instead, "update the browser" and "mime error messages" are generated.
3. If you visit the YouTube HTML5 player site with Pale Moon, you may see H.264 and MSE & H.264 with a red exclamation mark next to them. These should have a blue check mark next to them. Note: It is okay if MSE & WebM VP9 has red exclamation mark. That is default Video MSE setting.

This particular video problem on Pale Moon is caused by two extensions that may be installed on Windows 10. One is called HEVCVideoExtension. The other is called MPEG2VideoExtension. You may find you only have one of these extensions installed. Most people report finding and uninstalling HEVCVideoExtension fixed their video problems.

Note: You may want to read about these extensions first before uninstalling them. They can be found on the Windows store or through a Google search.

On to the tutorial and fix:

1. In Windows 10, click on the start menu button on the low left corner of your screen and then when the start menu opens up click on the settings tile. The settings tile/icon is the one that has a gear symbol on it.

2. Now you are on the Windows 10 settings page. Click on "Apps".

3. This will open the Apps and Features page. On this page, enter HEVC in the search field like shown below:
hevc.PNG
4. If you have it installed on your computer, this will bring up HEVCVideoExtension. Click it and choose uninstall.
You many want to also check for MPEG2VideoExtension in the same way and do the same if found.

5. Close Settings.

6. Close your Pale Moon browser if it is open by clicking the Pale Moon menu icon on the top right of the Pale Moon browser and click "Exit". If you use the menu bar, choose File and click Exit.

Now open Pale Moon and visit any sites you have been having trouble with to see if this issue is resolved. For example, if YouTube was only showing videos in 360p, see if they are now offering HD options. You can also visit here to see if the two settings mentioned earlier in this tutorial now have blue check marks next to them.

I and others have found that as soon as the extension/s are uninstalled, the video problem is fixed instantly. If you still have problems after uninstalling, perhaps try a computer restart.

If you don't find these extensions after searching for them as described above then your problem is likely due to something else and you may want to check this link out to troubleshoot it if you haven't already or get help on the forum.

Thanks to the forum members in this thread who discovered this fix.

Thanks for reading.
I'm using Pale Moon version 28.1.0 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

jyro275

Re: How to fix an HTML5 video issue with Pale Moon on Windows 10

Unread post by jyro275 » 2017-12-27, 21:20

Thank You! I was wondering what was going on with YouTube. Google's Play Store wouldn't show any video previews at all.

tenseys
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tenseys » 2017-12-29, 18:03

Glad it helped!

Just noticed a little error.. this should read:

6. Close your Pale Moon browser if it is open by clicking the Pale Moon menu icon on the top LEFT (not top right) of the Pale Moon browser and choose/click "Exit". If you use the menu bar, choose File and click Exit.

brittonplaza91

Unread post by brittonplaza91 » 2017-12-31, 03:15

I made an account just to post this. Thank you! I was having this issue with Youtube and now it's fixed by uninstalling HEVC. Not to get into OS wars but this is what I get for using Windows 10. Thanks again.

georgiapi

Unread post by georgiapi » 2018-01-29, 01:11

Same here, uninstall HEVC and restart Pale Moon and its all good.

tenseys
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-01-29, 02:27

Great, glad to hear that removing the HEVC Video Extension fixed it for you.

Mako109

Unread post by Mako109 » 2018-02-02, 03:58

Ahhh! Thank you! I was wondering where this issue came from, so I finally decided to dig around. Worked like a charm!

karankeeone

Unread post by karankeeone » 2018-02-22, 00:48

Apologies for the late reply, but if I remember correctly, this resolved my video, GIF, and Steam Browser issues. Thanks so much! Now I have to do these on my new laptop which has a Steam Browser issue (won't display Wishlist, News, etc. in Steam Browser, but will in Big Picture Mode). Dell Tech couldn't fix issue. Steam Support couldn't either. Duh!

jshawley
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by jshawley » 2018-03-07, 18:22

Original poster here.
Thanks to all for the replies. Two things go fixed by removing that one HEVC extension: Facebook vids began working again, and also, I am able to change YouTube vid resolutions.
I had also experience an issue posting in the "What's on your mind" FaceBook window, but disabling ad blocker for the Facebook page fixed that.

Thanks again for all your help.
Jim

Turtleman

Unread post by Turtleman » 2018-05-12, 14:32

Can someone kindly explain why it's necessary to modify Windows 10 to get certain videos to play on Pale Moon when they play just fine in other browsers?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-05-14, 13:31

Because Pale Moon is not other browsers. Our media backend is significantly different and therefore does not behave in the same way.

That said, the next milestone of Pale Moon should not be affected by the HEVC codec on Windows 10.

Victoria

Unread post by Victoria » 2018-05-20, 09:43

This solution solves one problem and creates another. That HEVC Video Extension is there for a reason. Uninstalling it breaks the ability to watch the 4K streams in the Netflix app and Edge.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2018-07-01, 02:53

I'd like to add since RS5 builds started, VP9 Extension is also installed. The extension doesn't affect Youtube in my case, but could break video playback on other sites. I have to use CCleaner to remove it, since Windows won't let me.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

ArchieLukas

Unread post by ArchieLukas » 2018-07-05, 16:23

Thank you

Trying to find this fix for ages, but general videos on webpages, an't too bothered with YouTube, so never searched it

However the fix works.

I had switched to Vivaldi, which just works!
Just like that. :angel:

PMRick
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by PMRick » 2018-07-27, 16:42

Uninstalling the 'HEVCVideoExtension' and 'MPEG2VideoExtension' worked for me as well.
THANKS!

tenseys
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tenseys » 2018-08-17, 23:46

Quick update:

I just installed PM 28.0.0. and I also reinstalled the HEVC video extensions by Microsoft (from manufacturer) on my Windows 10 laptop and it now appears both PM and the HEVC extensions are now working nice together.

Youtube works, videos on various sites work and YouTube's HTML5 thing shows everything like it should. So, at least for me, I no longer have to uninstall the HEVC extensions with the latest version of PM 28.0.0 since PM works fine with them installed. Thanks.
Last edited by tenseys on 2018-08-18, 03:58, edited 12 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-18, 05:36

Solved by Pale Moon 28.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite