export/import search engines

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Avari
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

export/import search engines

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-11, 12:53

Hello,

I'm switching from FF to PM. I have a Windows computer and a linux one. Yesterday I customized PM for my Windows. Today I installed the linux version. While I was able to import my bookmarks from the win-version, i cant find a way to import the search engines. I created them manually with the "add to search bar"-addon and dont want the waste an hour to do this for my linux-computer too. (using context-search-x a lot, so i have many of them) Is it possible to export/import them vom Win-PM to Linux-PM manually ? (what files or dir ?).

Avari
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: export/import search engines

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-13, 15:57

I just needed to copy the searchplugins directory from the profile. Everythings works.

Bookmarks and AdBlock / NoScript exports worked well. Sessionstore too

But i had problems with my passwords: key3.db and logins.json copy did not work. But an old version of the "Password Exporter" (1.2.1.1) addon solved it.

Preferences were changed manually.
Arch Linux + i3-wm; Windows 8.1
echo LANG=de_DE.UTF8 > /etc/locale.conf
echo KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys > /etc/vconsole.conf
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
vim /etc/locale.gen ## uncomment your language
locale-gen
"if something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak english" -Homer Simpson

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-08-14, 12:11

Take a look at FEBE as well. Their Pale Moon - Current Status? thread is also worth reading.

Swicher
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Swicher » 2017-10-17, 04:57

Avari wrote:I just needed to copy the searchplugins directory from the profile. Everythings works.
It is worth clarifying that since Firefox 45 the search plugins are stored in search.json (or in search.json.mozlz4) which is not compatible with Pale Moon. If you installed search engines in Firefox 45+, then you can use this extension to export them in XML format.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2017-11-20, 14:14

@Swicher thanks for the tip.
I installed with Moon Tester Tool because there wasn't a version old enough for a direct install. Once installed, I do not see any hint on the Pale Moon interface of how to use the add-on. Same on the FF side. Would you be willing to share some advice about how to use?

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2017-11-21, 03:19

Okay, finally figured it out. :thumbup:
For those who might be on the same path, here's the process that worked for me.

1. In FF, install
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rt-import/
2. In FF, go to Tools / Options / Search and scroll to the bottom
3. Click "Export All Search Engines" and save the zip file to your drive
4. On your local machine, navigate to
(Your Pale Moon Profile)\searchplugins
5. Close Pale Moon
6. If you want to replace all the search engines, delete the engines already in that folder
7. In that folder, extract all the xml files from the zip file you downloaded.
8. Restart Pale Moon. Done!