Can Two Different Palemoon's Be Installed?

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Can Two Different Palemoon's Be Installed?

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2017-04-02, 19:28

Good afternoon. Just a quick question for the learned out there. Can two different instances of Palemoon be installed on a computer?

My question is more of "gee whiz, I wonder" type of question, but I'm curious none the less.

Thanks.

wyMnNHXB

Re: Can Two Different Palemoon's Be Installed?

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-04-02, 19:38

Hello.

You can run two or more different profiles simultaneously by using profile manager and command line options.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... er_profile

If you meant that you want to run two different versions of browser (for instance, 27 and 26), I believe that it is also possible. Just create dedicated profiles for them and use shortcuts with command line options added.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2017-04-02, 23:18

wyMnNHXB wrote: If you meant that you want to run two different versions of browser (for instance, 27 and 26), I believe that it is also possible. Just create dedicated profiles for them and use shortcuts with command line options added.
That is the question I was seeking an answer to. In the past, normally installing a newer version updates the older version. I was wanting to try and have 26.5 and the last version, 27.2.1 I, on the same computer.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-04-03, 01:13

BKelley56 wrote:I was wanting to try and have 26.5 and the last version, 27.2.1 I, on the same computer.
Use the portable version. All you need to do is unzip the portable version into whatever directory you want and then run palemoon-portable.exe from there. That way, you can have as many different versions of Pale Moon as you want at your fingertips, as long as they're all portable and they're all in separate folders/directories.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2017-04-04, 22:20

Nigaikaze wrote:
BKelley56 wrote:I was wanting to try and have 26.5 and the last version, 27.2.1 I, on the same computer.
Use the portable version. All you need to do is unzip the portable version into whatever directory you want and then run palemoon-portable.exe from there. That way, you can have as many different versions of Pale Moon as you want at your fingertips, as long as they're all portable and they're all in separate folders/directories.
Dang, why didn't I think of that? :clap: Thanks for the advice!

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-04, 22:57

I would not be so sure that will work. 26.5 and 27 are not always compatible with the same extensions. Sometimes the different versions of an extension may be needed for each version of P M.. I am doing just what this thread suggests and am having problems as described in this thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15377 So far nobody has offered any explanation or suggestions re that post. As you will see, I went one step beyond what was suggested here and set up the portable version on a dedicated USB3 stick as I expected that would further insure there would be no interaction between the two versions. Apparently there still can be.

If any of the folks in this thread do try having two different versions, please post if you see a similar issues in either or the threads. Thanks.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-04-05, 05:05

TwoTankAmin wrote:If any of the folks in this thread do try having two different versions, please post if you see a similar issues in either or the threads. Thanks.
Not sure if it matters, but did you use "-no-remote" option for both Pale Moon executable files?

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-05, 15:36

Sorry, I have no idea what "-no-remote" is and have never seen it anywhere in P M that I can recall? Plus, I could not find anything about it in the Pale Moon manual. ;)
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-04-05, 16:13

TwoTankAmin wrote:Sorry, I have no idea what "-no-remote" is and have never seen it anywhere in P M that I can recall? Plus, I could not find anything about it in the Pale Moon manual. ;)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-05, 17:03

Excuse me, but what reason would I have ever go to the Mozillazine.org site for anything, let alone a Pale moon solution? The last version of FF I used was 28. I kicked that browser to the curb a few years back when they went to the Australis UI. I do not read the Mozilla forums either. Next, why would I want advice from Mozilla (or Firefox users) to do things in Pale Moon. I would also not ask Chrome, Edge, IE or Safari or Opera users for help using Pale Moon.

p.s. I also do not read the forums for Chrome, IE, Edge or any other browser I do not use. ;)

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-05, 17:14

TwoTankAmin wrote:Sorry, I have no idea what "-no-remote" is and have never seen it anywhere in P M that I can recall?
This switch allows to run multiple instances of browser, in case of portable Pale Moon you can uncomment MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 string in Palemoon-Portable.ini to enable this mode.
TwoTankAmin wrote:Excuse me, but what reason would I have ever go to the Mozillazine.org site for anything, let alone a Pale moon solution?
Because Pale Moon was forked from Mozilla a lot of such docs are still applicable to it.

wyMnNHXB

Unread post by wyMnNHXB » 2017-04-05, 18:00

TwoTankAmin wrote:p.s. I also do not read the forums for Chrome, IE, Edge or any other browser I do not use. ;)
Pale Moon evolved from Firefox, there is no point in denying it. As JustOff posted, a lot of Mozilla docs apply to the Pale Moon, as they apply to SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Firefox, forks and some other software based on Mozilla technology.
TwoTankAmin wrote:Next, why would I want advice from Mozilla (or Firefox users) to do things in Pale Moon.
Off-topic:
I bet there are not a lot of Firefox or Chrome users on this forum. I also switched to Pale Moon recently, because Mozilla strongly intends to shoot both its legs.
On you question: you may want such advices as they might help solving your questions =)

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-05, 19:45

I wrote a reply here but chose not to post it, I should not be further hijacking somebody else's thread.

@BKelley56
Sorry.

Donotfillintheblank

Unread post by Donotfillintheblank » 2017-10-08, 06:16

wyMnNHXB wrote:
TwoTankAmin wrote:p.s. I also do not read the forums for Chrome, IE, Edge or any other browser I do not use. ;)
Pale Moon evolved from Firefox, there is no point in denying it. As JustOff posted, a lot of Mozilla docs apply to the Pale Moon, as they apply to SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Firefox, forks and some other software based on Mozilla technology.
Did PM actually evolve from Firefox?

"Forked from Mozilla" and "evolved from Firefox" are not necessarily the same thing.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-10-08, 07:35

Off-topic:
This is necrobumping, and is discouraged. Also, don't worry too much about technical correctness.

travolta133

Unread post by travolta133 » 2018-01-26, 07:36

yes you can, you have to make 2 different profiles.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-26, 07:52

I wouldn't do this..