How to fix "sudoers" error when installing Pale Moon for Linux

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
kbhasi

How to fix "sudoers" error when installing Pale Moon for Linux

Unread post by kbhasi » 2017-01-25, 11:06

(Note: Please ignore the dates on and in the screenshots, as the PC I used has a dead backup battery and I accidentally set the year to 2016 instead of 2017)

It has come to my attention that when I try to install the browser on Linux using the pminstaller.sh script, this error comes up:

Terminal:

Code: Select all

[sudo] password for USERNAME: USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
GUI:

Code: Select all

Error
(error icon) The installer could not start. Please verify your password is correct and that you have sudo rights and then try again.
[OK]
Screenshot:
Here's a screenshot of that error.
Here's a screenshot of that error.
I'm using Debian 8.7 with the Cinnamon desktop.
Here's how to fix this error.

Go to the user account settings. This can be different for different Linux desktop enviroments, so I won't document that part here. Once you are there, add "sudo" to the list of groups for your account:
Screenshot from 2016-01-25 04_19_41.png
After that, please restart. Once you have restarted, start the pminstaller.sh script and it should work.
After completing installation
After completing installation