Building Pale Moon on Fedora

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Howlingwolf

Building Pale Moon on Fedora

Unread post by Howlingwolf » 2016-10-01, 23:03

A few minutes ago I received an anonymous email which make it clear this was a mistake, made worse by my misguided attempt to explain my reasoning.

I apologise to anyone who was offended by my audacity in daring to disagree with a Fedora Package Maintainer.

I also apologise for referring to the 'streamlining' of the fedora documentation as 'butchery'.
Last edited by Howlingwolf on 2016-10-04, 22:39, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Building Pale Moon on Fedora

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-02, 00:53

Thanks for taking the time to document the process for Fedora!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Howlingwolf

Unread post by Howlingwolf » 2016-10-02, 12:45

You're welcome.

Conan Kudo

Unread post by Conan Kudo » 2016-10-03, 01:32

So there's a few things wrong with these instructions:

* It's not necessary to mess with site-defaults.cfg in mock, as it will automatically use Yum for Fedora < 24 (including Fedora EPEL targets).

* You don't need to put a dash at the beginning of the comment, and your name and email is supposed to be set separately in your ~/.rpmmacros file or read from profile data.

* You don't need a special toolchain for building for ARM if you use qemu to run an ARM image (like the ones provided by CentOS or Fedora). You can use mock in the ARM CentOS/Fedora environment there.

I'm also skeptical that the source won't work or can't be made to work with GCC 6.x.

The manual page is a nice touch, and it would be nice if that was submitted to be included with Pale Moon itself.

Howlingwolf

Unread post by Howlingwolf » 2016-10-03, 14:37

So there's a few things wrong with these instructions:
Is there really...

The simple truth is that this guide wasn't intended for someone of your implied skill level. It was intended for people who have never used these tools before. It's purpose is to give them a brief introduction to the tools using a simple, but non-trivial package which they can actually make use of.

So while some of what you say is technically correct - you seem to have 'misinterpreted' what I've written in a couple of instances. It's simply beyond the scope of this guide. As the Finally section says, I tried to strike a balance.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-03, 14:47

Your instructions are simply incomplete with a few tidbits that aren't quite correct.

Kudo happens to be among other things, a general Fedora developer and package maintainer..

The most glaring not-fedora-specific thing from MY seat is the lack of proper mozconfig. So from both angles it needs a little work to get it to be just right.

I nor Kudo are trying to demean your guide or contribution of it. Just needs a few touches to be awesome.

You did directly ask for input in your opening post so i am puzzled why you lashed out.

Howlingwolf

Unread post by Howlingwolf » 2016-10-03, 19:23

<Removed>
Last edited by Howlingwolf on 2016-10-04, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

RobertBuroman

Unread post by RobertBuroman » 2016-10-04, 17:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:Your instructions are simply incomplete with a few tidbits that aren't quite correct.

Kudo happens to be among other things, a general Fedora developer and package maintainer..

The most glaring not-fedora-specific thing from MY seat is the lack of proper mozconfig. So from both angles it needs a little work to get it to be just right.

I nor Kudo are trying to demean your guide or contribution of it. Just needs a few touches to be awesome.

You did directly ask for input in your opening post so i am puzzled why you lashed out.
Oh come on, be fair. A single mildly sarcastic remark?

Kudo came across like a pedantic jerk and what probably made it worse was his mistakes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-04, 20:50

If you don't like when people contradict you.. Then don't ask for any suggestions, errata, or comments..

I trust that Kudo was citing best practices as they would apply to proper release grade packages. Especially, since I instructed him to do as such because it looked a bit off to me.. But I am no expert.. He kinda is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-04, 23:01

It would have been at least nice to have kept the basic instructions instead of going in and removing it all because people gave some criticism, after being asked for it... :thumbdown:

So now we have... nothing, instead. Oh well.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RobertBuroman

Unread post by RobertBuroman » 2016-10-05, 01:11

Yeh. That's a bit extreme, but you can't blame him. There are some really nasty f**kers out there.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-10-05, 01:20

RobertBuroman wrote:Yeh. That's a bit extreme, but you can't blame him. There are some really nasty f**kers out there.
It's not an excuse really.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-05, 01:23

I am locking this thread because this type of discussion need not be a thing.