Privacy purge with CCleaner for PM portable.

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
dallas7

Privacy purge with CCleaner for PM portable.

Unread post by dallas7 » 2012-08-14, 19:26

A suggestion for CCleaner users, or not:

CCleaner won't recognize portables so I've chosen to configure it to do so.

Use the Options > Include > Add to include each of the files and folders one at a time.
Or just modify mine according to your parameters (path, Include metrics) and paste into ccleaner.ini and restart CCleaner.

Browse to and include each of these files:
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|content-prefs.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|cookies.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|downloads.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|formhistory.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|places.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|search.json
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|search.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|signons.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|urlclassifier.pset
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|urlclassifier3.sqlite
IncludeXX=FILE|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\|webappsstore.sqlite

Browse to these folders, select All Files and "Include files and subfolders":
IncludeXX=PATH|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\Cache\|*.*|RECURSE
IncludeXX=PATH|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\jumpListCache\|*.*|RECURSE
IncludeXX=PATH|C:\PORTABLES\Palemoon64\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\OfflineCache\|*.*|RECURSE

I've been using these without issue since about Haller's Firefox 4 portable and adding to it as it evolved and in Palemoon 64 portable for almost a year.

Regarding the urlclassifier entries, I have my reasons for their inclusion in this cleanup process which explanation is beyond the scope of this posting. If you don't recognize the method to that madness, you should ignore those two items.

Under the Cleaner Windows tab, Advanced "Custom Files and Folders" needs to be enabled.

Perform a Clear All History (configure for Everything and enable all items in Details), close PM and run CCleaner. Usually you'll see at least 16MB of data all about you CCleaned if you run it on a daily basis. The jumpListCache folder can easily load up with 100's of items.

Cheers.

dallas7

Re: Privacy purge with CCleaner for PM portable.

Unread post by dallas7 » 2013-03-29, 06:00

Be aware that signsons.sqlite is where your passwords are stored.

The nasty behavior of the jumpListCache folder loading up with 100's of .ico files can be defeated by setting browser.taskbar.lists.enabled to false in about:config.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-29, 07:20

Removing "urlclassifier3.sqlite" is unnecessary - it is a (public) database of known unsafe sites and URLs; it does not contain any personal information and removing it will only cause unnecessary traffic as the file is redownloaded from the SafeBrowsing servers.

Safebrowsing is also disabled by default in the portable version, so you may very well not have this file to begin with ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-03-29, 08:37

You can clean all files in the PM settings. No need for using a tool.

Remember: You can destroy many things with this cleaning tools.