If linux Pale Moon can't find your plugins (Flash, etc)

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

If linux Pale Moon can't find your plugins (Flash, etc)

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2016-02-24, 20:20

The root cause of the problem is that linux Pale Moon looks for plugins in a different directory than Firefox/Chrome/Opera/etc. And linux distros install plugins for the Firefox default location. The solution is to symlink those 2 directories together, so that everybody's happy. It takes 2 commands from the commandline Because you're writing to /usr, you have to do the following as root. This assumes that Flash, or whatever, has been installed, and that the nsbrowser/plugins directory exists.
  • if you're running 32-bit linux
    1. mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla
      ln -s /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
  • if you're running 64-bit linux
    1. mkdir /usr/lib64/mozilla
      ln -s /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
That's it. You may or may not have to restart Pale Moon to get it to re-do its search.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

bashon

Re: If linux Pale Moon can't find your plugins (Flash, etc)

Unread post by bashon » 2016-09-22, 03:49

The suggested directory </usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins>
does not exist.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-09-22, 08:08

You know Walter Dnes.. I am in constant awe of your ablity to not only in some cases to do or advise things contrary to what we advise but also to badly rehash things we have already taken the time to cover properly.

Basically I am tired of constantly having to correct you so just stop..

This thread is redundent because this is covered http://linux.palemoon.org/help/faq/#noplugins

bashon

Unread post by bashon » 2016-09-22, 17:31

Perhaps I'm missing something, the posted link took me to text making reference to the same non existant directory.