Return to "Classic Skin", even with Aero

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Claymore

Return to "Classic Skin", even with Aero

Unread post by Claymore » 2012-07-09, 22:29

Since i love Aero for recoloring Windows (love a black taskbar), i won't deactivate it at all.
In my opinion, the overall legibility is a step down at the default-skin, if you're living with Aero. Also i don't like the new look of having a single button in the upper left corner, so i decided to switch on the menubar. Now that's really annoying: Black background with black font, with white shadows. I know, i use Pale Moon, but the heck: What was in the mind of creating this skin? Anyways: Figured out, how to disable Aero for Pale Moon:

• Go to your Pale Moon installdirectory
• Locate the folder "chrome" and open it
• There you'll see a file, named "nonlocalized.manifest"
• Open "nonlocalized.manifest" with your preferred texteditor
• Now look for each line, with "osversion>=6" & "osversion<=6" at the end
• Simply add a zero behind it. osversion 6 = Windows Vista & 7
• The final result should show like: "osversion>=60" & "osversion<=60"
• What did we do? We said, that it would require a system, above 60 (maybe we'll reach this in 20 years ;)) to activate Aero-effects
• Simply save it & you're done

You don't like to edit it by yourself?

Code: Select all

# browser.manifest
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/ os!=WINNT
content browser jar:browser.jar!/content/browser/ contentaccessible=yes
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul         chrome://browser/content/safebrowsing/report-phishing-overlay.xul
overlay chrome://global/content/viewPartialSource.xul chrome://browser/content/viewSourceOverlay.xul
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/ os=WINNT osversion<666
overlay chrome://global/content/viewSource.xul chrome://browser/content/viewSourceOverlay.xul
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/aero/browser/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
skin communicator classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/communicator/
override chrome://global/content/license.html chrome://browser/content/license.html
style chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul chrome://browser/skin/
style chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul chrome://browser/content/browser.css
content branding jar:browser.jar!/content/branding/ contentaccessible=yes
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://browser/content/win6BrowserOverlay.xul os=WINNT osversion>=666

# pippki.manifest
content pippki jar:pippki.jar!/content/pippki/

# toolkit.manifest
content xbl-marquee jar:toolkit.jar!/content/xbl-marquee/
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/global/ os!=WINNT
content global jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global/ contentaccessible=yes
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/aero/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/aero/global/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
content mozapps jar:toolkit.jar!/content/mozapps/
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/mozapps/ os!=WINNT
content global-region jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global-region/
content cookie jar:toolkit.jar!/content/cookie/
content passwordmgr jar:toolkit.jar!/content/passwordmgr/
override chrome://global/content/nsTransferable.js chrome://global/content/nsDragAndDrop.js
content global-platform jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global-platform/ platform
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion<666
resource gre-resources jar:toolkit.jar!/res/
content satchel jar:toolkit.jar!/content/satchel/
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/global/ os=WINNT osversion<666
I know, i said: Change it to 60 & i used 666 - doesn't matter at all :). Hope, you like this tutorial.

Edit: Last but not least: Thanks moonchild for Pale Moon. Since Firefox is going the damn wrong way, you keep a wonderful project. Dunno what i'd do, if Pale Moon wasn't here.

greetings

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Return to "Classic Skin", even with Aero

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-10, 00:00

Or.. you can use a (well-designed) persona and it will be extremely legible ;)

I personally use the menu bar and my own persona.

Thank you for the howto though! I agree that by default with "glass", there's a lot of room for improvement. But "it looks spiffy" with the transparency, I guess.
Attachments
Pale Moon with menu bar and Pale Moon (light) persona.
Pale Moon with menu bar and Pale Moon (light) persona.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Claymore

Unread post by Claymore » 2012-07-10, 01:18

@Moonchild: The main reason for my workaround is (noticed later), it fixed the slow closing tabs too. I''ve not a weak PC, but it went annoying. Also with personas, tabs-closing was laggy. Dunno why, but it seems, the Aero-skin is the reason for the lag. As far as i know, it's not a bug in Pale Moon. Happened at Firefox too.
May you report your speed of closing all tabs at one and/or closing many tabs quick? Do you have a lag too with personas or is it gone with it? :)

greetings

pangolin

Unread post by pangolin » 2012-12-02, 15:48

Suddenly I have strange (ugly) colors in my bars.
I google for "palemoon skin" , click on the first hit, come here, read cause and solution and problem solved.
I wish computers always worked like this!

Thanks!

TheObserver

Unread post by TheObserver » 2012-12-18, 12:04

Is there anyway to retain the lighter Tabs available with the default theme whilst using a Persona?

Claymore

Unread post by Claymore » 2013-09-13, 12:13

Since Pale Moon 24 was released, the tutorial is slight different:

Go to "\browser\chrome\" & open chrome.manifest

Change all to

locale browser-region en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/
locale branding en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/branding/
locale pdf.js en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/pdfviewer/
locale browser en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/browser/
content branding jar:browser.jar!/content/branding/ contentaccessible=yes
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/ os!=WINNT
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/aero/browser/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
content browser jar:browser.jar!/content/browser/ contentaccessible=yes
skin browser classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/ os=WINNT osversion<666
skin communicator classic/1.0 jar:browser.jar!/skin/classic/communicator/
override chrome://global/locale/netError.dtd chrome://browser/locale/netError.dtd
override chrome://mozapps/locale/downloads/settingsChange.dtd chrome://browser/locale/downloads/settingsChange.dtd
override chrome://global/locale/appstrings.properties chrome://browser/locale/appstrings.properties
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://browser/content/report-phishing-overlay.xul
overlay chrome://global/content/viewPartialSource.xul chrome://browser/content/viewSourceOverlay.xul
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://browser/content/win6BrowserOverlay.xul os=WINNT osversion>=666
override chrome://global/content/license.html chrome://browser/content/license.html
overlay chrome://global/content/viewSource.xul chrome://browser/content/viewSourceOverlay.xul
style chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul chrome://browser/content/browser.css
overlay chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul chrome://browser/content/places/downloadsViewOverlay.xul
manifest pdfjs/pdfjs.manifest
Or note the different osversion-tags & change them to anything, greater than 6 or 7 (dunno the version for Windows 8).

Go to "\chrome\" & open chrome.manifest

Change all to

locale global-platform en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/global-platform/
locale mozapps en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/mozapps/
locale passwordmgr en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/passwordmgr/
locale global-region en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/global-region/
locale weave en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/
locale alerts en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/alerts/
locale necko en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/necko/
locale pippki en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/pippki/
locale cookie en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/cookie/
locale pipnss en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/pipnss/
locale autoconfig en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/autoconfig/
locale global en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/global/
locale places en-US jar:en-US.jar!/locale/en-US/places/
content marionette jar:marionette.jar!/content/
content specialpowers jar:marionette.jar!/content/
content mozapps jar:toolkit.jar!/content/mozapps/
content global-platform jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global-platform/ platform
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/global/ os=WINNT osversion<666
content satchel jar:toolkit.jar!/content/satchel/
content global-region jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global-region/
content global jar:toolkit.jar!/content/global/ contentaccessible=yes
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/aero/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/mozapps/ os!=WINNT
content passwordmgr jar:toolkit.jar!/content/passwordmgr/
skin mozapps classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion<666
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/aero/global/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
content xbl-marquee jar:toolkit.jar!/content/xbl-marquee/
content cookie jar:toolkit.jar!/content/cookie/
skin global classic/1.0 jar:toolkit.jar!/skin/classic/global/ os!=WINNT
content recording jar:recording.jar!/content/
content pippki jar:pippki.jar!/content/pippki/
resource specialpowers jar:marionette.jar!/modules/
override chrome://global/content/nsTransferable.js chrome://global/content/nsDragAndDrop.js
resource gre-resources jar:toolkit.jar!/res/
Or note the different osversion-tags & change them to anything, greater than 6 or 7 (dunno the version for Windows 8).

Have a nice day & thank you moonchild, for the nice new version! :D

Claymore

Unread post by Claymore » 2014-03-13, 04:11

As for Pale Moon 24.4.0, it has changed a bit and may also be compatible with Firefox too ;):

You need: WinRAR (easiest for working with)

Go to your install-directory, locate & open open "omni.ja" with WinRAR, locate & open the directory "\chrome\" and then extract "chrome.manifest"
Open it with Notepad and change it to:

locale global-platform en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global-platform/
locale mozapps en-US en-US/locale/en-US/mozapps/
locale passwordmgr en-US en-US/locale/en-US/passwordmgr/
locale global-region en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global-region/
locale weave en-US en-US/locale/en-US/
locale alerts en-US en-US/locale/en-US/alerts/
locale necko en-US en-US/locale/en-US/necko/
locale pippki en-US en-US/locale/en-US/pippki/
locale cookie en-US en-US/locale/en-US/cookie/
locale pipnss en-US en-US/locale/en-US/pipnss/
locale autoconfig en-US en-US/locale/en-US/autoconfig/
locale global en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global/
locale places en-US en-US/locale/en-US/places/
content marionette marionette/content/
content specialpowers marionette/content/
content mozapps toolkit/content/mozapps/
content global-platform toolkit/content/global-platform/ platform
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/global/ os=WINNT osversion<666
content satchel toolkit/content/satchel/
content global-region toolkit/content/global-region/
content global toolkit/content/global/ contentaccessible=yes
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/aero/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/mozapps/ os!=WINNT
content passwordmgr toolkit/content/passwordmgr/
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion<666
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/aero/global/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
content xbl-marquee toolkit/content/xbl-marquee/
content cookie toolkit/content/cookie/
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/global/ os!=WINNT
content recording recording/content/
content pippki pippki/content/pippki/
resource specialpowers marionette/modules/
resource gre-resources toolkit/res/
Save the file and drag & drop it back to the same location. WinRAR now will ask, if you want to include it. Press OK & we're done here.

Go to your install-directory, locate & open the directory "browser". Open "omni.ja" with WinRAR, locate & open the directory "\chrome\" and then extract "chrome.manifest"
Open it with Notepad and change it to:

locale browser-region en-US en-US/locale/browser-region/
locale branding en-US en-US/locale/branding/
locale pdf.js en-US en-US/locale/pdfviewer/
locale browser en-US en-US/locale/browser/
content branding browser/content/branding/ contentaccessible=yes
skin browser classic/1.0 browser/skin/classic/browser/ os!=WINNT
skin browser classic/1.0 browser/skin/classic/aero/browser/ os=WINNT osversion>=666
content browser browser/content/browser/ contentaccessible=yes
skin browser classic/1.0 browser/skin/classic/browser/ os=WINNT osversion<666
skin communicator classic/1.0 browser/skin/classic/communicator/
override chrome://global/locale/netError.dtd chrome://browser/locale/netError.dtd
override chrome://mozapps/locale/downloads/settingsChange.dtd chrome://browser/locale/downloads/settingsChange.dtd
override chrome://global/locale/appstrings.properties chrome://browser/locale/appstrings.properties
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://browser/content/report-phishing-overlay.xul
overlay chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul chrome://browser/content/places/downloadsViewOverlay.xul
manifest pdfjs/pdfjs.manifest
Save the file and drag & drop it back to the same location. WinRAR now will ask, if you want to include it. Press OK & we're done here.

Finished :).

Again thanks to Moonchild for releasing & maintaining Pale Moon. I tried FF lately and I'll throw away Mozilla, if Moonchild will stop developing Pale Moon. There is no chance to go back to FreakFox.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-13, 10:44

@Claymore,

You have a lot of code in there just to change the skin color. Do you have a screen shot of your skin? I'd like to see what it looks like.

I use Aero in Windows, but I change my skin color using a persona called "Hydriel". It's a bluish green hue with black colored lettering. I use the Hydriel in linux too. The link to Hydriel is below.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hydriel/

Once on the page, you can place your cursor over it to see what it looks like. You might have to place your cursor over it a few times to see the visible changes since Mozilla has reworked their personas site (I think).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Claymore

Unread post by Claymore » 2014-03-15, 10:12

Sure :):
Image Image Image

The only things changed in the code:

6 to 666

With this I trick the engine to believe, my OS won't support AERO and so the default-style will get chosen. It's no theme or something similar - all I do is activating something, what is built in. It's like disabling AERO or going back to Classic Style in Windows. But the benefits with the trick: You still have the support of AERO (Colored taskbar, etc.) AND a clean looking browser :). Don't know, why Mozilla won't make a simple switch in about:config or in the settings to enable it by default.

Ambassador

Unread post by Ambassador » 2014-06-19, 21:31

Hi, is it possible to override those manifest files using the user profile directory and this method without having to modify and repackage the omni.ja's? Thanks.