Changing Bookmark Folder Icons

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Changing Bookmark Folder Icons

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-07-04, 23:15

INTRODUCTION

Changing Favorites (Bookmarks) Folder Icons in Internet Explorer is a simple right-click menu selection (Properties > Customize > Change Icon, etc) and this allows each Favorite (Bookmark) Folder to display whatever icon you please. Regrettably this is not nearly so easy to achieve in Pale Moon (or Firefox) as there is no simple "built-in" change method, no right-click (context) menu option, and thus using an Add-on, such as Bookmark Favicon Changer, appears to be the only choice. (EDIT: Sadly it appears Bookmark Favicon Changer 1.74 will be the last version. :( )

Search a little further and you will find various "Change Bookmark Folder Icon" CSS scripts suggested on Firefox blogs and forums (e.g. mozillaZine). After trying several of these the CSS script below seems a good choice, it is simple, robust, and does a neat job.... and it's really not that difficult to do! :)

Additional Notes:
  1. This CSS script simplifies matters by storing the icons used in the "chrome" folder of your Pale Moon's Profile right next to the "userChrome.css" file that contains the "override" script that changes the browser UI. Apparently this is considered "good practice" in code writing as well?
  2. Additionally this method also allows you to change the Bookmark Folder Icons in both Pale Moon Bookmarks and PlainOldFavorites (POF's Add-on allows IE Favorites to be used directly in Pale Moon and/or Firefox) running in tandem, or alone, as you prefer.

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR PALE MOON BOOKMARK FOLDER ICONS USING A CSS SCRIPT

Navigate to your Pale Moon's Profile. Easiest route via: Pale Moon Button > Help > Troubleshooting Information. (or Help > Troubleshooting information if you display the Menu Bar)

Find "Profile Folder" and click "Show Folder" button. Open "chrome" folder. In recent Pale Moon downloads there is usually a "userChrome.css" file already - you can either modify it by adding your new CSS scripts to it or delete/rename/move it and then create a new file. Leave any other pre-existing files in the "chrome" folder e.g. "userChrome-example.css, userContent.css or userContent-example.css" as they are.

If you chose to delete/rename/move the original userChrome.css file, then create a new file as follows: In your Profile's "chrome" folder - Open a new text file (Right click > New > Text Document) and name it "userChrome.css" and then copy and paste in the next 4 lines exactly!:

Code: Select all

.bookmark-item[container="true"][label="BOOKMARK FOLDER NAME"] {
list-style-image:url('NEW ICON NAME.ico') !important;
-moz-image-region:auto !important;
}
Now replace BOOKMARK FOLDER NAME with the exact name of the Bookmark Folder whose icon you want to change. Then replace NEW ICON NAME with the exact name of the ".ico" file you want to use as new Bookmark icon. Save and exit "userChrome.css - Notepad" file.

Now save a copy of the icon file you want to use into the "chrome" folder and leave it there! (Size 16x16 to 128x128 .ico files work, Pictures using 16x16.png files will too. Other sizes or file types may work but not tried.) DO NOT OMIT this icon file or you will have no icon, just blank space, displayed against the Bookmarks Folder Name!

Restart Pale Moon and your chosen icon should now be displayed next to it's Bookmark Folder Name.

Repeat above process for each Bookmark Folder Icon you wish to change.

EXAMPLE My "userChrome.css" file contains 11 of the entries above, one for each Bookmark Folder in use. The Pale Moon Bookmark Folder entry is as follows:

Code: Select all

.bookmark-item[container="true"][label="Pale Moon"] {
list-style-image:url('Pale Moon.ico') !important;
-moz-image-region:auto !important;
}
Plus it's essential copy of "Pale Moon.ico" (32x32 23KB icon file) saved in the chrome folder!

PS. The CSS script 4 line format used above can be altered but it works - so I have posted the original. I used Get Icons 2.5 and Faviconizer 1.3 to extract and organise icons/favicons - both are available from Softpedia - plus many other similar "icon" extractor/manipulator tools!
Last edited by Blacklab on 2013-05-07, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Changing Bookmark Folder Icons

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-08-30, 21:52

Pleased to report that the above Bookmark Folder Icon CSS code is working just as well in Pale Moon 15.0 :D

(If interested The Plain Old Favorites Add-on (version 1.2) mentioned above is "incompatible" with PM 15.0 due to "maxVersion" number problem - fortunately there is a "compatible" version available but it does not seem to update automatically - you have to download it direct from developers website: http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/ by clicking on "Install PlainOldFavorites 1.2" link whereupon updated POF's 1.2.1 will actually be downloaded and installed in browser without any "maxVersion" problem.)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-28, 14:58

CORRECTION: Forum topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1466 reports that Plain Old Favorites 1.2.1 has a deeper compatibility problem with Pale Moon 15 x64 (also Waterfox x64 & Firefox Nightly x64) versions. The Add-on does not load any Favorites from IE. POF's runs normally with 32-bit Pale Moon 15 versions.

GaiaSmith

Unread post by GaiaSmith » 2013-12-19, 02:42

Blacklab wrote:
>>stuff snipped<<...using an Add-on, such as Bookmark Favicon Changer, appears to be the only choice. (EDIT: Sadly it appears Bookmark Favicon Changer 1.74 will be the last version. :( )
I have FANTASTIC NEWS!! It's b-a-c-k! It was SO beloved, the author was kind enough to fix it for us! And it works--it works!! See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2784533

I am OVER the moon! (For you readers for whom English isn't your native tongue; translation:)
:thumbup: Yee Haw!! :clap:
I have my wonderful, beautiful Pale Moon back! And I didn't have to learn code to do it--Santa came early for me this year!

BTW, Blacklab, thanks so much for this tutorial--I have it bookmarked, in case 'something' again breaks BFC. You went to a LOT of effort, and made it simple enough that I think even I could do it! I'm very grateful to you. Happy New Year!

MasterOfNone

Unread post by MasterOfNone » 2016-01-29, 18:59

Version: 26.0.0 (Atom/WinXP)
Bookmark Favicon Changer 2.28 no longer works.
It is not shown as incompatible however.
Searched & found this was reported for 26.beta 1.

For direct bookmarks, the menu still exists; for bookmark folders the menu is missing altogether.
I did manage to change the favicon of a folder by falling back on a really old solution; userChrome.css.
One disadvantage of this approach that Bookmark Favicon Changer does not have is the need of a title for the bookmark. Even by using a single character the icon/title takes up more room, defeating the reason for an icon.

I know this is a minor thing for most people, but I've grown accustomed to seeing them night and noon.
Also: 26.0.0 appears to load the bloated sites I visit much faster! Thanks Moonchild!

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

BookmarkFaviconChanger - v2.29

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2016-08-20, 05:35

According to Bookmark Favicon Changer (by MedaiFire) home page the latest v2.29 was updated Jan-2016.

"Limitations" detailed on Bookmark Favicon Changer are described for Firefox, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if they apply to PM.
When I tried to use the "Free Install", Palemoon showed this alert ...
PaleMoon alert.png
Can I ignore the PM alert :?:
.XPI file download is also available via the Bookmark Favicon Changer webpage.
- my experience with .XPI files is nil, so would appreciate any help :)

Is this latest version of Bookmark Favicon Changer compatible with PM :?:

Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)