How to fix the broken web (Youtube & pals) .ft PM+MPV

Post your tutorials for using applications or performing related tasks here.
Note: Not for "how do I...?" Questions!
Forum rules
Tutorials and Howtos should only relate to developed software, and not to third party applications. e.g.: Don't post a generic Howto for configuring a firewall.
If you have a question how to do something, you should use one of the support boards, not this board. It is meant for people to document and post instructions.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to fix the broken web (Youtube & pals) .ft PM+MPV

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-19, 11:40

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-19, 02:38
Lightweight isn't the right word because MPV has a huge file size anyway, but the file size doesn't matter much and MPV is written in C, it's all about how the player plays videos. My 11 years old laptop, HP8560p if you want to check (spoiler just a meh spec), can play 2 8K videos at the same time with MPV, but absolutely no with web browsers.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23471&p=181957&hili ... er#p181957
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2023-03-19, 12:29

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-19, 11:40
jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-19, 02:38
Lightweight isn't the right word because MPV has a huge file size anyway, but the file size doesn't matter much and MPV is written in C, it's all about how the player plays videos. My 11 years old laptop, HP8560p if you want to check (spoiler just a meh spec), can play 2 8K videos at the same time with MPV, but absolutely no with web browsers.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23471&p=181957&hili ... er#p181957
Ah, I just mean all web browsers sucks at watching video compare to MPV, Firefox or Chrome can't ofc, I don't blame Pale Moon because I found a better solution and Chrome and Firefox can't even play 8K videos without turning my laptop into a frying pan.

That's why I've made my switch, no more web browsers for daily video tasks.

I also think web browsers are trying to do a lot nowdays, like gaming, watching 8K... HDR, SDR and soon 16K videos, I'm kinda el classico, web browsers for me is for surfing, just to read news, write guides... And watching videos from Youtube using web browsers for example means I can't do anything else because I can't switch to other tabs and do my tasks, they simply sucks at multi-tasking, but with MPV I can watch videos, even 5-6 videos at the same time while doing my jobs, reading news...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-20, 00:11

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-19, 12:29
And watching videos from Youtube using web browsers for example means I can't do anything else because I can't switch to other tabs and do my tasks
That's why PMPlayer, linked in my signature, exists.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2023-03-20, 02:32

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-20, 00:11
jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-19, 12:29
And watching videos from Youtube using web browsers for example means I can't do anything else because I can't switch to other tabs and do my tasks
That's why PMPlayer, linked in my signature, exists.
Websites like Youtube is the reason why I hate modern web with passion, their design force users to stay focus on their Youtube tab and users can't do anything, if they switch to another tab the Youtube tab will stop playing.

I guess most users don't care about multi-tasking but for me it's so important, I need to research ML-related Githubs, open hundreds of tabs and read them one by one while watching Youtube to save most of my time, that's why I have to find a solution. :think:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-20, 03:06

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-20, 02:32
that's why I have to find a solution
I just gave you a solution! Do you not read posts before replying to them (and unnecessarily quoting everything from it including previous nested posts besides)? :wtf:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-27, 18:41

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-20, 03:06
I just gave you a solution! Do you not read posts before replying to them (and unnecessarily quoting everything from it including previous nested posts besides)? :wtf:
Not everyone grew up aware of how to do this on forums... alas.

So I understand this issue very well. As for the solution, does pmplayer still work? If so, that is an answer indeed.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-27, 18:45

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2023-03-18, 08:55
Hosts file is easy to detect and gets blocked by Anti-Adblock scripts, it's always better to use uBlock and it allows you to bypass most Anti-Adblock scripts with zero efforts.
Funny, I was told just the opposite by the creator of one of those hosts modifiers... tblock creator twann.

Unless my memory is wrong on this.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-27, 19:20

Off-topic:
frostknight wrote:
2023-03-27, 18:41
Not everyone grew up aware of how to do this on forums... alas.
Those that don't only have to turn their gaze upon the forum rules (you did read those, right? If not, go do that now!) that actually gives instructions how to quote.
app.php/rules#rule-3a
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-27, 21:28

frostknight wrote:
2023-03-27, 18:41
As for the solution, does pmplayer still work?
Why wouldn't it work, as long as the video in question (on Youtube) allows external embedding?

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-31, 17:05

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-27, 19:20
Those that don't only have to turn their gaze upon the forum rules (you did read those, right? If not, go do that now!) that actually gives instructions how to quote.
Off-topic:
Fair point, I usually thought of the rules you had as being more or less, don't do anything I would hate to have done to me, initially anyhow.

That being said, most forums I have been at have some very similar rules:

Don't spam
Don't flame
Don't necro, although I admit that has been fun in the past... ;)
"on other forums..."

But yeah, I will refresh my memory again now.

SMH...

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-03-31, 17:08

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-27, 21:28
Why wouldn't it work, as long as the video in question (on Youtube) allows external embedding?
Google tries to break addons or websites they disagree with all the time, such as, invidio, cloudtube, viewtube script, viewtube addon, you get the jist.

SMH...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-04-01, 05:30

frostknight wrote:
2023-03-31, 17:08
Google tries to break addons or websites they disagree with all the time, such as, invidio, cloudtube, viewtube script, viewtube addon, you get the jist.
What does Google have to do with this? The extension works for Youtube videos that allow themselves to be embedded, which is something under the video uploader's and not Google's control.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-04-01, 05:44

moonbat wrote:
2023-04-01, 05:30
What does Google have to do with this? The extension works for Youtube videos that allow themselves to be embedded, which is something under the video uploader's and not Google's control.
This isn't an april fools prank is it?

;)

Actually, in all seriousness, that sounds surprising given Google's dislike for privacy. But if you are in fact correct still, then I need a jester icon. ;)

SMH...

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-04-01, 12:11

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
their design force users to stay focus on their Youtube tab and users can't do anything, if they switch to another tab the Youtube tab will stop playing.
Since when? I have never experienced this in my life... :eh:

Thad E G
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Thad E G » 2023-04-03, 10:20

BenFenner wrote:
2023-04-01, 12:11
jangdonggun1234 wrote:
their design force users to stay focus on their Youtube tab and users can't do anything, if they switch to another tab the Youtube tab will stop playing.
Since when? I have never experienced this in my life... :eh:
And another metoo from, errm... me too. In fact it annoys me that it is perfectly possible to have two or more youtube tabs playing at the same time*. I think it is the Expose Noisy Tabs add-in that I use to deal with this.

*I'm not commenting on whether or not this is "correct" behaviour: it is the way it is, and I'm sure opinions would differ on "correct."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-03, 11:09

Thad E G wrote:
2023-04-03, 10:20
it annoys me that it is perfectly possible to have two or more youtube tabs playing at the same time
This is why we have speaker icons on tabs so you can quickly see which tabs are noisy, and squelch them with a click.

Thad E G
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Thad E G » 2023-04-03, 18:47

Moonchild wrote:
2023-04-03, 11:09
Thad E G wrote:
2023-04-03, 10:20
it annoys me that it is perfectly possible to have two or more youtube tabs playing at the same time
This is why we have speaker icons on tabs so you can quickly see which tabs are noisy, and squelch them with a click.
Brilliant. I thought this came from the add-on. Sorry... With bits and pieces I've had for ages, I forget what is standard and what is add-on.

Ageing mind: I guess that add on is more to do with sites that do stuff like play music when they open; not youtube and embedded videos. :oops: