Network install and All users install Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BocSupport

Network install and All users install

Unread post by BocSupport » 2018-10-15, 19:32

This is a two-part question - is there a way to install this over a network; meaning download the software to network folder and then take a network path it and install it on Windows 10? The second question is - how can I install it for all users on a computer? Thank you for your help in advance.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Network install and All users install

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-15, 21:04

Dont' know?

Initial though was, "why can't you have the installer sitting on a server & just point to it".
Then I thought, "network aware", & (Windows) Registry.
And then, at least in days of old, software was not made to be installed from a server.

That said, have you tried it ;-) ?

Does PM have an msi version (or equivalent for other OS)?
(No idea what an other OS might need in that respect.)

(Adobe Acrobat Reader, .exe installer, adds itself to the /All Users/ directory. I guess that enables AR to be available for each [Windows] User to install, & then the actual install, per User, is "local", i.e. in /Program Files/ or similar. This is different user accounts on the same computer, different from having the installer on a server.)

Oh, might also have a gander at the Mozilla end & see how they handle things.
(They have not .msi type installer.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-10-15, 21:11, edited 3 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-16, 07:37

Pale Moon does not have an .msi installer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-16, 09:48

If you have a question how to do something, you should not post in "tutorials/howtos" but use one of the support boards or a general chat board if it is not directly related to Pale Moon. I do write these board rules posted in view at all times for a reason. It would be nice if people pay attention to it now and then.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-10-17, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BocSupport

Unread post by BocSupport » 2018-10-16, 19:24

My sincerest apologies for posting here; I am still in the process of learning the rules and what can be posted where. I will look before I write next time.

Thank you for the information from the both of you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-17, 05:25

yami_ wrote:Pale Moon does not have an .msi installer.
I wouldn't want it to have an msi installer either because msi installers create direct dependencies on the os they are installed in, i.e. it's not even possible to uninstall if something touches the msi data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-10-17, 23:16

What server do you have? I recall on older servers simple batch can be used to install anything, and there sure can be used direct path like \\server\install\palemoon\palemoon-28.1.0.win32.installer.exe

For all users you likely need copy shortcuts, supposing you don't want custom extensions for all users.