Forum subscription

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

chumley

Forum subscription

Unread post by chumley » 2012-05-05, 20:52

Since the discontinuation of the mailing list, I have subscribed to the announcements forum. However, whenever I get a notification of something new, it includes this disclaimer:

"no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic."

That seems like a bad idea. If I fail to visit the board after an announcement is sent, then I may miss future announcements. It would be better to have a way to keep the notifications coming for all annoucements, regardless of whether I have visited the board or not.

Is this possible?

Thanks

lyceus

Re: Forum subscription

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-05-06, 03:33

This is a default in the phpBB fourm for avoid that a very active thread becomes an email spam.

You can edit this on the User Control Panel > Board Preferences if you don't want those messages. Also if you fear to miss the replies just click on the "First unread post" link in each thread and you will jump to any new message posted after your last visit. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-06, 08:12

If you want to be informed about new topics/posts without visiting the board, you can use Live Bookmarks in Pale Moon by visiting:
http://forum.palemoon.org/feed.php?f=1
The fact that only one e-mail is sent is to protect people running the forums from being blocked/disconnected by their ISP for flooding e-mails out, as Lobocursor explained.
That being said: the Announcements board is made read-only, so the only posts made there will be by myself or a moderator/admin.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chumley

Unread post by chumley » 2012-05-07, 19:12

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I didn't explain my question very well, sorry about that. Let me try again.

I'm used to other forums where if you subscribe to a topic, you have two notification options: instant, or daily digest. I can understand why instant notifications need to be limited, as you guys have explained. I think the instant notification mechanism here is fine as it is. What I was really hoping for is a daily digest option. With a daily digest, I presume the digests would keep coming even if I didn't visit the forum. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-07, 19:35

I'd prefer to relocate the forum first. I'm trying to get a VPS set up but the guys seem to be rather unresponsive and they have set up the wrong version of Linux. If they don't respond timely this second time (first time I had to tug on them to even get the VPS set up... after waiting 48 hours with not a peep) then I'll just see about finding another VPS company. Thankfully I'd only lose $5 in that case.

Digests aren't a standard option in phpBB - and that sort of thing is probably going to be quite involved to set up. In any case it would take a while before this is implemented. As-is you can get Atom feeds from individual topics, to individual forums, and the global board "news" feed which has most fora included. I think that should certainly cover most bases.
I'll see about actually adding feed icons.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-07, 20:09

OK I've added the Feed icons now. You can click the orange feed icon in the header to call up the atom feed. It has 3 modes:
  • If you are in the main board index, it will pull up the overall bulletin board feed
  • If you are viewing a forum list (list of topics) it will pull up the feed for that forum, so you can start watching posts in that forum
  • If you are viewing a topic (thread) it will pull up the feed for that topic only, so you can start watching just that topic