Lobocursor,
Time is ripe and prices are right to abandon Slim's 20th century oligopoly -
http://www.telecable.net.mx/internetPrecios.aspx
http://www.megacable.com.mx/paquetes.html

KNTRO

Re: Start portal discussion thread

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-02-09, 07:48

Hi all & hi michieldewit,

Will the new Pale Moon START portal be ready today/tomorrow?

Thanks.

michieldewit

Unread post by michieldewit » 2015-02-09, 08:15

lobocursor wrote:Btw, thank you for the start.me idea but as Moonchild says this is not a forced thing. So I will move to a blank page for my start page.
Why not give it a try?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-09, 10:53

KNTRO wrote:Hi all & hi michieldewit,

Will the new Pale Moon START portal be ready today/tomorrow?

Thanks.
Redirects are now in place and you should be forwarded to the new page.
Please post any issues here. A more detailed announcement will be made later on to explain some of the workings of the portal (I need :coffee: first)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-09, 13:19

I also have my own (long used) start page solution and of the links shown I am not even using a hand full on a regular basis so I do not really need this, but I think it looks already pretty good. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-09, 13:40

SvenG wrote:I also have my own (long used) start page solution and of the links shown I am not even using a hand full on a regular basis so I do not really need this, but I think it looks already pretty good. :thumbup:
The links shown are not all going to be used by everyone, of course, but they are quick links to commonly used pages in the Pale Moon user base.

I don't know what you use currently, but of course you can build the same in the new page now ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-09, 14:28

Moonchild wrote:I don't know what you use currently, but of course you can build the same in the new page now ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*
Using good old Speed Dial extension cause I prefer an offline solution, sometimes helps a bit when you have a lousy mobile connection and opening such a start page takes like 10 or more seconds. Not that other pages would load faster but saving a few seconds here and there isn't bad. I also started using ordinary bookmarks and the keywords much more lately. Anyway, even if this is not my solution, I think it is an interesting one.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-02-10, 02:51

michieldewit wrote:
lobocursor wrote:Btw, thank you for the start.me idea but as Moonchild says this is not a forced thing. So I will move to a blank page for my start page.
Why not give it a try?
I had reported that the icons takes around 1 to 3 minutes to show up vs. instantly in the static page. From the info I send to Moonchild, somewhere in Texas the network have a delay of 300-500ms in the tests and in some cases I get a time off.

Some people blame the Telmex DNS servers, but I cannot change that since the modem is not user serviceable. So others ask me to change of phone company, but this is a monopoly do you remember? So the other companies still use the lines of Telmex as they are the only that placed the lines in the start!. EDIT: Plus they charge more for the service.

The idea is great, if I can see the page fast. No offense to your startup and model of company, just find a way to fix this if possible. Within 3 minutes I can select a link from the bookmark menu and do my work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-10, 03:03

I've kept a serviceable copy of the old start page, and if you really have a lot of issues with the new one, you can reach the old one at http://start2.palemoon.org/

michieldewit

Unread post by michieldewit » 2015-02-10, 06:49

lobocursor wrote: I had reported that the icons takes around 1 to 3 minutes to show up vs. instantly in the static page. From the info I send to Moonchild, somewhere in Texas the network have a delay of 300-500ms in the tests and in some cases I get a time off.
Do the favicons take 1 to 3 minutes to load every time you open the page? Some aggressive caching is configured for those icons, so they should only be loaded the first time. From there on, they should be served from your local cache. Have you perhaps disabled local caching?

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-02-11, 12:40

Thanks for the link, I've posted it on Reddit.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-02-11, 13:30

Although I don't use the new Start Portal page because I use a custom home start page on My Way, I thought I would give my thoughts.

Since I hadn't seen the new Start Portal page because of the custom home start page I use when I access the internet, after clicking on the link and seeing the page for the very first time.....it's not my cup of tea. Those icons are "HUGE". Reminds me of the large icons I see on a tablet which are made for fingers.

Couldn't the same thing have been done to keep the new icons the same size to make it feel like the old style page? If not, I guess I'm just old fashioned when it comes to look and feel.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-02-11, 13:34

Users have the option to use small icons. Virtually everything is configurable, you can be as old-fashioned or contemporary as you care to be with this new start page.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-02-11, 16:55

Just tested the new start page : with all the blocking I do browser side, it displays only a list of websites sorted by categories. No need to customize to avoid the huge icons. :p

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-02-12, 00:18

I just spent a few minutes updating my personalized start page, I'm quite pleased with it. Frankly, I don't use start pages for shortcuts, I prefer the bookmarks toolbar for that. Rather, I like to use it to display various widgets including sports feeds, golf headlines, space news and embedded web pages (I use that for my favorite weather site). There are tons of widgets available that allow the user to build a highly informative and customizable start page. Even if you have a custom start page that you've created I suggest that you give this new feature a try, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you are able to create.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-02-12, 03:14

michieldewit wrote:
lobocursor wrote: I had reported that the icons takes around 1 to 3 minutes to show up vs. instantly in the static page. From the info I send to Moonchild, somewhere in Texas the network have a delay of 300-500ms in the tests and in some cases I get a time off.
Do the favicons take 1 to 3 minutes to load every time you open the page? Some aggressive caching is configured for those icons, so they should only be loaded the first time. From there on, they should be served from your local cache. Have you perhaps disabled local caching?
I will try the caching solution. But also just check in your side if the images are optimized, your graphic design people can tell that even with a small icon, a proper setting for low colors (local palette) is faster than to render millions of colors (RGB palette).

michieldewit

Unread post by michieldewit » 2015-02-12, 07:45

lobocursor wrote:I will try the caching solution. But also just check in your side if the images are optimized, your graphic design people can tell that even with a small icon, a proper setting for low colors (local palette) is faster than to render millions of colors (RGB palette).
I agree that these settings do make a difference. Most of the icons we offer are directly taken from their associated web sites, so we have little control over the quality settings for those icons. The settings we can influence are currently set for quality, rather than size, so that is something worth investigating.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-02-17, 05:47

The page is more fast now, at least within the minute in default mode and with the small icons in less that 15 seconds. I hope that the tracepath commands sent the troubles can be fixed for good. I am sorry that the Internet lines are not the same speed in all countries. So please don't take my comments like I didn't test the service, just it needed some tune for work here.

Thank you for all.

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-02-23, 10:58

Hi Michiel,

I'd like to use this thread again to suggest 3 little things for start.me.

1. Could you make the URL just start.me available, instead of http://www.start.me? As you can imagine, this is not a priority, just a really minor, silly suggestion.
2. Another minor suggestion, but I really miss this one: colors for widgets! Here's how they look in Netvibes, for instance. It's not an urgent request, of course, but you can't deny it looks so good! ;)
3. This is indeed kinda urgent request, I really, really miss this feature in start.me: An embedded audio player for podcast‼ :o

Netvibes uses a Flash based player for podcast, I think. Here's the podcast I'm listening to right now — works like a charm! 8-) Trust me: it would be TOTALLY AWESOME if you could add a HTML5 player instead!

By the way, does start.me have a custom forum or a Get Satisfaction / UserVoice account in order to submit feedback or report bugs? IDK if it's OK to use Pale Moon forums to do it. :|

Best regards.