DNS outage

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

DNS outage

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-07, 17:29

There was a really odd problem with DNS lookups due to a connection glitch with the ISP the master DNS server is on for palemoon.org.

This has been fixed now, but it means the forum, start page and web page may have had "host not found" errors for a while.
Hopefully this won't happen again. If it does, I'll have to look into rehoming the master DNS server to somewhere that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to operate.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2011-09-09, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Demote to sticky (7d)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RamBurner

Re: DNS outage

Unread post by RamBurner » 2011-09-08, 09:51

Thank you for the 'Thank You' email. [MicroDSolution here]
:ugeek:

diNovoM

Unread post by diNovoM » 2011-09-09, 19:49

Ah, so it was dns? If i would have known ip i still could have connected (well it doesn't seem it works that way?), well you might want to add some side/blog etc. on different server where you make an entry if main page doesn't work?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2011-09-09, 20:03

Well, by the time I realized what was going on, it took 10 minutes to fix it (a call to the ISP).
Also, IP wouldn't have helped, since the forum runs on the same server as the master zone DNS.
You're of course always free to shoot me an e-mail if you see a problem or use the webpage feedback form on http://www.palemoon.org or http://www.moonchildproductions.info to let me know... ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite