A forum Search for 'hyatt.com' turns up 28629 results

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

A forum Search for 'hyatt.com' turns up 28629 results

Unread post by therube » 2024-03-15, 17:19

A forum Search (here) for 'hyatt.com' turns up 28629 results.

I'd think that to be in error.

'abc.com' turns up a more reasonable, 25.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: A forum Search for 'hyatt.com' turns up 28629 results

Unread post by billmcct » 2024-03-15, 18:37

I searched hyatt.com and it only shows this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-03-15, 18:43

It somehow searched for '.com', which right now is returning 28,633 results:

Screenshot from 2024-03-15 13-41-49.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-19, 19:41

The forum search on here kinda sucks. No offense to MC, it's a long-standing phpBB problem and not something he can do much to fix.

You're basically better off trying to search the posts on the forum via an external search engine, than using the built-in search. It's almost unusable and won't let you get very specific about what you're searching for. It searches for every individual term and "helpfully" omits words that are too short or too common, preventing you from looking for acronyms or phrases that include short words. It works best when searching for a long, single word that is fairly unique and not repeated too often.

Well, maybe some people can use it effectively, if they are wizards at constructing proper search strings in a way that phpBB forum search will respond well to (a niche skill indeed), but I know for sure that I can't use it and get the results I want, even if I know for sure the post exists and what phrase it contains.

Other strategies that can help are looking for the thread that contains the post you want and searching within that thread, or trying to narrow it down by user and date and then searching for a fairly common word you know the post contains, because then you don't have too many results to look through.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-19, 21:55

I think the only real way to improve this would be to use sphinx fulltext (phpBB does support that) but it's a total PITA to set up and maintain (I never got auto-merging of deltas to work with it when I looked at it and I don't want to have to re-index every day). I'm currently using phpBB native (i.e. a PHP-maintained index). I could try to use the MariaDB back-end but I found it to be kind of unpredictable how it responds since the MySQL search isn't exactly as intuitive to feed, but I could try that, if you want to give that a go.

That being said I just did a search for hyatt.com and it only popped up this thread. so I'm not sure where your out of bounds number comes from.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-20, 02:43

I was wanting search the forums, and thought I would try the tip of using an external search engine.
athenian200 wrote:
2024-03-19, 19:41
You're basically better off trying to search the posts on the forum via an external search engine, than using the built-in search.
I find it incredible that the phrase new tab hasn't appeared here, even once! But see what Google returned, can there really be no results?

Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-20, 03:05

suzyne wrote:
2024-03-20, 02:43
I find it incredible that the phrase new tab hasn't appeared here, even once! But see what Google returned, can there really be no results?
Searchresults.png
I knew Google Search had gotten worse over the years in terms of search quality and allowing more specific searches. And was also vaguely aware it kind of discriminated against Pale Moon, but I had no idea it had gotten THIS bad...

Look at my attached screenshot from my preferred search engine, Bing, and compare it to yours from Google...

So does that mean everyone that uses Google search has been having to rely on the forum's built-in search and make it work for them over the years, while I was oblivious because I was using Bing and had the forum actually indexed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2024-03-20, 03:21

Searching the forum for the terms "new tab" via DuckDuckGo also works fine here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22new+tab%22 ... oon&ia=web

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-20, 03:28

athenian200 wrote:
2024-03-20, 03:05
Look at my attached screenshot from my preferred search engine, Bing, and compare it to yours from Google...
FranklinDM wrote:
2024-03-20, 03:21
Searching the forum for the terms "new tab" via DuckDuckGo also works fine
I am truly shocked by the differences. This has left me speechless.

:wtf:

Enobarbous
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Enobarbous » 2024-03-20, 04:14

I am truly shocked by the differences. This has left me speechless.
You shouldn't)
robots.txt

Code: Select all

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: /
Related topic
While I'm not happy about it, but... The right of the forum owner

So does that mean everyone that uses Google search has been having to rely on the forum's built-in search and make it work for them over the years
Yes :D We must suffer
I am sorry for the use of auto-translator to post

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-03-20, 04:42

Enobarbous wrote:
2024-03-20, 04:14
So does that mean everyone that uses Google search has been having to rely on the forum's built-in search and make it work for them over the years
Yes :D We must suffer
Well, I am glad to hear that it was MC's choice, I thought Google had ramped up on the censorship so much that our forum wasn't even indexed anymore... I guess I never noticed he blocked it because I never used Google to begin with. LOL.

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-03-20, 04:54

Enobarbous wrote:
2024-03-20, 04:14
Related topic
While I'm not happy about it, but... The right of the forum owner
That thread was most illuminating and helpful to read! Thanks for the link, because it explains everything.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2024-03-20, 16:17

That being said I just did a search for hyatt.com and it only popped up this thread. so I'm not sure where your out of bounds number comes from.
It looks like if a search does not actually find a specific hit, it finds all OR'd hits?
So initially, "hyatt.com" did not exist in these forums, so (for me, at the time) 28629 results were returned.

Now that "hyatt.com" does exist in the forums, only this 1 thread is found.

So, change the search to something like, 'hyattXXX.com' - which does not exist in these forums (until I actually post this post), & with that, I'm seeing 28653 hits.

So I searched for "hyattXXX.com", & the board parsed it to a search of "hyattXXX" "com" (two terms, OR'd it must be) & it found 0 results on the 'hyattXXX' end & 28653 results on the 'com' end (I'm guessing).

And once I post this, hyattXXX.com will no longer return a high number of results, but you could try hyattXYZ.com - oops, but then that will no longer work either ;-).
Palemoon hyatt search.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-03-20, 16:38

I'm pretty sure that was intentional by the phpBB designers. I can see the logic being "if there are no hits, make the search query interpretation more broad" because that would make sense for a "natural language" search. first try exact matches, if 0, then try a less constrained search. This may even be something php does internally, I don't know.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-30, 04:43

Use advanced search, search within the subject and set it to return results as topics, not posts. That's if you want to see discussions about the topic you're looking for as opposed to every single instance of that keyword everywhere sans context.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX