Add-on author names

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Add-on author names

Unread post by Michaell » 2023-11-14, 16:00

The PM add-ons site uses author/developer names ("By: ____") that often do not correspond with the id's used here on the forum where the support threads are (or maybe some other site). One or the other should be changed so they match. Too many of the add-ons have author names on the addons page that are unknowns to even the forum's regular users. Where's our trust supposed to come in?
Win10home(1709), PM33.1.0-portable as of Apr 23, '24

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Add-on author names

Unread post by vannilla » 2023-11-14, 16:41

The displayed name is taken from the install.rdf file, which is written by the author(s) of the add-on.
Whether the displayed name is different from the forum handle is entirely a choice of the add-on author(s).

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2023-11-14, 17:30

That's a cop-out (not taking any responsibility).

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-11-14, 17:36

Why does my nickname on the forum have to match my author's name?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-14, 18:00

Michaell wrote:
2023-11-14, 17:30
That's a cop-out (not taking any responsibility).
We aren't responsible for what is up to extension authors to manage. Don't blame us for how they organise their on-line presence.
The add-ons site is also independent of the forum. Being on one does not require being on the other. We will not make that a requirement, either.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2023-11-14, 19:13

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-11-14, 17:36
Why does my nickname on the forum have to match my author's name?
Should be obvious - so we know who the author is. There are too many now that are just blind trust. It could be done another way, such as having the author name linked to an about page. We could see other extension's you've authored and whatever info you want to put in a description. It doesn't matter I guess if Moonchild doesn't want to do it.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-11-14, 19:27

I understand that this could be useful, but it cannot be required. For the forum, I choose any words as a nickname, as many people usually do. But for authorship of add-ons I use something closer to my real names. Everything is logical and in accordance with traditions.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-11-14, 23:52

As far as trust goes, I think there is some degree of review into what goes onto the add-ons site that is done by the add-ons team. So, the trust really shouldn't be placed in the add-on authors as individuals, but more in the add-ons team to filter out anything that would potentially be harmful to users. It's true that you have no reason to trust every individual that authors an add-on, but this also isn't just some random personal web page setup by an extension author... this is a service that subjects the add-ons to some degree of scrutiny. While there is no guarantee of functionality or fitness for purpose, let's just say that nothing would be allowed on the add-ons site that had been known to cause problems or was from an author that was distrusted for some reason.

The way I see it, users are placing their trust in the add-ons team and the add-ons site when they download an add-on here, not an individual author. I would go so far as to say, add-on authors are not to be trusted as individuals, but rather the community and the review process should be trusted. That is precisely why it is important to have a centralized add-ons site in the first place, rather than just having a bunch of random download links from all over the place.

So basically, stick to the add-ons site and don't download add-ons from third-party sources, and you should be a lot safer than if you just have to assess whether to trust individual authors by downloading extensions from their blog or something.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-11-15, 04:38

athenian200 wrote:
2023-11-14, 23:52
don't download add-ons from third-party sources
Off-topic:
Not that there's anyone making malicious XUL or Addon SDK extensions anymore when Web Extensions provide a much larger target rich environment of 2 browsers and the multiple derivatives of one of them, but yeah.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX