Major forum problem

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Kolusion
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Major forum problem

Unread post by Kolusion » 2023-07-17, 13:29

I just installed Pale Moon to try it out and I have a problem with it and questions about it. I tried to signup to the forum but then it asked me a question about swag items and it would not let me register without the answering the question. No direction to the answer was given, and it was only by accident I found it on Pale Moon's website under the 'Donations and support' section, because I thought 'support' was user support.

I was just about to put Pale Moon down as shitty hobby FOSS software and uninstall it and not look back.

No doubt this design will be a brick wall for other people who wasn't so fortunate to find the answer, and without any other support channel, they will probably dump Pale Moon.

I suggest Moonchild Productions sort this out.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Major forum problem

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2023-07-17, 18:52

And I'd suggest you calm down a bit and have a good think.

Then pose your question politely and with sufficient detail for other people to work out where you might be having a problem.

Most people would see 'Donations and support' and make the mental jump to 'means support for palemoon'. That you haven't is by no means a problem with you but with a little bit of thought you might think that if this is confusing to you and clear to the author, then perhaps you might need to be fairly detailed in your description of your problem, as you and the people currently on this forum might have different assumptions of what is 'normal and clear' and what is 'unusual and unclear'.

I went on a blank profile to try and sign up to the forum, and I couldn't find any questions to answer on the 'Download and Support' page, and when attempting to register the forum, I got a fairly simple page asking if I agreed to abide by the rules (yes/no), and then a page which asked for a user name and password, language, timezone and optional biography and a small challenge to confirm you're not a robot. Nothing about swag. So clearly we're missing some detail on where you got asked about swag.

Slightly offtopic note to maintainers: Why is "The items marked with * are required profile fields and need to be filled out." on that page, when there are no items marked with *?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Major forum problem

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-17, 20:17

thosrtanner wrote:
2023-07-17, 18:52
and a small challenge to confirm you're not a robot.
One of the potential challenges asks about swag. Since I can see it's potentially one jump too many for people to take the effort to look up the donations page without hinting at it, I've just removed that particular one, leaving just the general knowledge ones that don't need specific context.
thosrtanner wrote:
2023-07-17, 18:52
Slightly offtopic note to maintainers: Why is "The items marked with * are required profile fields and need to be filled out." on that page, when there are no items marked with *?
I'm assuming the phpBB devs were thinking forum operators would always make at least some profile fields mandatory. We don't do that here. If users don't want to provide information for their profile, they don't have to (although it's still encouraged). Either way it's just for clarity when there are mandatory fields.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite