Potential interruptions this fall and winter

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Potential interruptions this fall and winter

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-08, 09:51

I was informed by my electricity company that over the course of the fall/winter, it is possible that there will be service interruptions to electricity delivery without prior warning depending on availability of power and expected shortages due to the cut-offs from Russia and overall electricity net balancing required to compensate. Outages will mostly be unannounced and are expected to be rare, but if they do occur will likely last several hours.

Since I'm running some services in-house on local servers, this will impact those services (e.g. Pale Moon Sync, repo server).

This announcement is just a heads up that this might occur, so you're all aware of both me suddenly dropping off of the face of the planet, and servers being unreachable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Potential interruptions this fall and winter

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-09, 05:22

Yet another good reason, for you to be careful with what bandwidth people use on your servers...

But thanks for letting people know, I very much hope you don't lose power though.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2022-10-12, 17:37

Do you have a backup generator? That would compensate for at least some of the outages.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-10-12, 18:01

Stargate38 wrote:
2022-10-12, 17:37
Do you have a backup generator? That would compensate for at least some of the outages.
You also need an UPS to provide power until the generator is running. Additionally, the ISP also needs to have power. If there are bigger power outages, the service will likely be unusable.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-12, 18:02

It's unlikely my internet will be available during outages, so no, it's pointless to have the servers running on a generator.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite