Start portal outage

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Start portal outage

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-24, 00:45

There seems to be an outage with the start portal/default home page at the moment.
I've reported this to startme after verifying that it's not a local issue.
I'll let y'all know when I have more information.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Start portal outage

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-24, 06:10

Yeah, I noticed that, but I didn't know what was going on at first. I thought maybe there was some new feature added to the site that stopped the start page from displaying properly, but then I checked in another browser and it was the same.

It has been going on for a day or two now, though, so it's starting to seem odd if it's just technical difficulties.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-24, 09:55

The issue I indicated was for an actual DNS outage.

The cause of the DNS failure was this:
https://status.heroku.com/incidents/2453
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-24, 12:28

There was also an (unrelated) issue that would prevent the start portal from displaying any site icons/widgets resulting in a blank page (see attach). Startme has indicated they can reproduce the issue on the /start page (default for non-localized pages) and are deploying a fix for this. Due to caching this may take a while to propagate.
Note that you may not notice this if you have previously logged in (even if you are currently logged out).
Attachments
blank1.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-25, 10:52

The empty portal issue got resolved yesterday at 3pm. Let me know if you still see this issue so I can pass it up the chain.

Linnaeus
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Linnaeus » 2022-08-28, 16:28

New to Pale Moon and Start.me

I was having issues this morning with it loading, I noticed having the Preferences\Privacy\History- And unchecking the "Allow sites to store and use cookies" caused Start.me to draw a blank page.

Maybe that is self explanatory for most, Not necessarily for me. But if anyone has that issue locally, that was mine. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-28, 20:15

That's unrelated to the outage, but maybe it will help some people with overzealous "privacy" settings.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-29, 00:24

Off-topic:
I keep seeing Pale Moon being blamed by idiots for 'tracking' while that is done by start.me. Or accusations of hypocrisy because of using that as a homepage because they use Google Analytics so obviously it's the same thing as Firefox having telemetry and analytics baked in. :roll:
Last edited by Moonchild on 2022-08-29, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic post is off-topic. marked as such
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX