Gitea planned downtime for upgrade

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Gitea planned downtime for upgrade

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-15, 21:43

I'm going to put some time into properly upgrading gitea to a current version since we're running into some administrative roadblocks on the old one (especially related to combating spam and bogus accounts). As far as i can tell it should have no issues with current Pale Moon in terms of the shinies many 'web apps" want to be using these days, but it does mean things will look a bit different as Tobin's custom templates will have to go; they are no longer compatible.

I'll plan this for Wednesday, August 17th. No idea how long it'll take since I'll have to take a full backup et al then work through potentially breaking changes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Gitea planned downtime for upgrade

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-16, 02:13

Is that your gift repo? Does it impact the forum or the addons website or the downloads pages?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-16, 02:34

andyprough wrote:
2022-08-16, 02:13
Is that your gift repo? Does it impact the forum or the addons website or the downloads pages?
It is, and we never look a gift repo in the mouth. ;)

I think the Gitea repo is separate from the forum and the website, I remember hearing something like that once. Though obviously I wouldn't know the exact technical details, I don't expect anything else to go down while that upgrade is happening.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-16, 04:27

Off-topic:
athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-16, 02:34
It is, and we never look a gift repo in the mouth. ;)
That's a good thing, because you can lead a gift repo to water, but you can't make it drink.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-16, 07:43

Off-topic:
I'll just have to repo all the gifts because of the puns :D
This affects repo.palemoon.org only.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-17, 08:48

The repo server is back up. note it throws a JS error in the UI, which is a known issue because we don't support EventSource in workers. This was already known by the Gitea team and fixed but it still in the pipeline on their end to be released. On our end I opened an issue to add EventSource-in-SharedWorker support (should not be too hard to port from Mozilla).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-17, 11:31

OK so there's a different issue I'm completely stuck at which prevents PRs from working.
WIP PRs are fine but those that should be offered to merge bork on an authorisation check if the user is allowed to merge the PR or not, and I have no clue how to move forward with that at the moment. I poked Gitea's discord server but no reply yet. maybe someone here familiar with Gitea knows how to fix this?

Log:
2022/08/17 10:58:16 ...vices/pull/update.go:109:IsUserAllowedToUpdate() [E] [62fcc9c8] pr.BaseRepo.GetUnit(unit.TypePullRequests): Unit type does not exist: TypePullRequests
2022/08/17 10:58:16 ...ers/web/repo/pull.go:509:PrepareViewPullInfo() [E] [62fcc9c8] IsUserAllowedToUpdate: Unit type does not exist: TypePullRequests

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-17, 14:26

OK so there's a bug in gitea 1.17.0 that after migration, if the fork someone created to make a PR from has "enable pull requests" disabled in their settings (which might happen as a result of the migration) then gitea will throw an error 500 on the upstream repo PR.

Please check your forked repo settings to make sure "enable pull requests" is enabled in settings.
https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues/20826 is the tracking issue for this.