Receiving multiple emails about same topic Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Receiving multiple emails about same topic

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-18, 11:10

Did something change on email notifications? Since yesterday/today I receive multiple emails without visiting the forum i.e. this part no longer seems to apply: "No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic."

I didn't change any notification settings recently, except for unticking the 'Notifications' column.

Notifications.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Receiving multiple emails about same topic

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-18, 14:36

back2themoon wrote:
2022-05-18, 11:10
Did something change on email notifications?
Nothing has changed in regards to the forum software recently.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-05-18, 21:01

Might be a gremlin in forum code somewhere... I've just received an email notification saying I'd been quoted when I hadn't... I had posted a reply on that thread (flightradar24 - No map) but my particular reply had not been quoted from?

This post from Ron_S quoting Scribe seems to have triggered an invalid notification to me: viewtopic.php?f=70&p=228099#p228099

Capture.JPG

I've checked my forum 'User Control Panel' notifications page... all looks normal... no user settings changed by me in months.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-20, 19:34

Ok, thanks. This is what I mean:

eMail.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-20, 19:47

If you subscribe to a topic (either from the tools menu or by checking "notify me when a reply is posted" in the compose window), then I would think you will be informed about any and all replies to that topic, as long as you visit it in-between, right? if you're using an RSS reader or keep a tab open that refreshes or what not then that might be triggering "you've visited"... not sure.
I never really use that feature myself.
Like I said nothing has changed in the forum as far as I know. Certainly nothing has changed in the actual software of the forum recently.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-20, 20:26

Ok, thanks. I can live with it. No RSS, auto-refreshing tabs or other recent changes. Perhaps the always open Thunderbird is somehow now triggering "you've visited" while downloading messages? Sounds excessive, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-20, 21:15

The only thing I can think of might be that if you disable in-board notifications it might trigger spurious e-mails that would normally be handled by the notification system for on-site display, and it somehow ignores the condition in that case, i.e. a bug in phpBB.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-21, 09:21

You are most probably right, since that's what I changed. The emails keep on coming, so I just flipped all notifications back on. On other phpBB forums too, disabling those caused problems (or is simply not an option, since if you enable email notifications they are forcibly enabled with no option to turn them off). I was a bit surprised to see it was possible here.

edit: here's the old thread: Cannot disable board notifications (so they never got it right, I guess)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-21, 09:34

Yeah there's only so much I can do to deal with the forum's internal errors. I'm just a user of the forum software here.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-23, 07:59

I confirm the issue was solved by re-enabling all in-forum notifications. Doesn't make much sense, but it's what it is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-23, 11:56

I don't know what they were thinking then. Nothing I can do anything about either way, as I really don't have the time or energy to dive into phpBB code for the foreseeable future.