xref.palemoon.org crossreference ?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

xref.palemoon.org crossreference ?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-22, 15:58

Will (can ?) the cross-reference site, xref.palemoon.org, be put back up again?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: xref.palemoon.org crossreference ?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-22, 16:01

When I get time to do so, sure. Having been given an alpha version of a rewrite (that actually didn't work at all) has made me lose plenty of time trying to get it back up before; You can thank Tobin again for trying his best to throw up as many roadblocks as possible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-22, 16:27

Glad to hear it will happen.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-22, 17:04

I've actually been working on it today using an older backup of mxr (since I wasn't able to get a new backup that fateful day). I should have a working xref for Pale Moon and UXP as it currently is, but it's still being tweaked and indexed so it's not going to be very reliable at the moment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-23, 00:58

Ohohoo...

So now, while I already told him never to contact me again, Tobin e-mailed me more verbal abuse from "Codename Neptune", another fake alias of his (pretending to be an XP enthusiast to try and restart an XP build to his own vision and erode MyPal), trying to further spin the narrative that I'm doing all this for the money (what money?!) and taking offence to my previous post in this thread.

Am I asking for money for xref? No. Am I trying to get a tool I need for my own work back up and running from the, to borrow one of his phrases, "tattered remains" of the services he decided to kill in the space of an hour? Absolutely.

Seems he's not only trying to convince others of his lies but has thoroughly convinced himself of them, claiming I apparently "placed landmines in GRE" while it seems to have been his own thorough ineptitude causing the issues I've been having to carefully tip-toe around adopting my months of work from GRE to UXP. He talks about a bullshit story? Well, if anyone currently entertaining Tobin's presence wants to find bullshit, they can just look in their own back yard first.

Fact: neither the addons site code nor the xref site code as was sent to me after his sabotage was working on a normal setup he had so "helpfully and selflessly" given quick start documents for (consisting of one-liner e-mails clad in insults surrounding them, as well as "figure out yourself what perl modules it needs").
Claiming it was "operational code as it was functioning within expected parameters" is a very well-known way for him of saying "it works in my snowflake special sauce setup but not within normal environments" and me not being able to figure that out without normal handover procedures is somehow equal to me being "too stupid"and testimony to my "failing skills as a server administrator"...? What were those "expected parameters" exactly? Was I informed of them? Nope.
I'm sure he'll spin it in some way that will be accusing me of "milking downtime" or what not since he already hinted at that angle in one of his previous (hat)e-mails.

Anyway, short of gracing Tobin with a public response here, which he doesn't deserve, I'll just extend the offer to anyone who wants to have more details and facts (not libel) about GRE, Tobin's lasting effects on the project and his apparent inability to admit the truth (both to himself and others), or if someone merely wants to know the text of the mail I received today, just send me a PM. I'm approachable for any serious questions or requests.

P.S.: To clarify how non-functional the code was: for xref in his 1.0.0a1 version that was tossed my way, building on his over-engineered "Metropolis" pseudo-framework, which he claims was actively running on the xref site, he had to send me pastebinned versions of scripts to generate config and search/ident indexes because the ones included in the tree didn't (and couldn't) work, regardless of environment. So how could he ever claim that what I was sent was "operational code" claimed to be running on production?... Draw your own conclusions about who you want to believe, given all the info.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2022-04-24, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.