What would it take for you to unban JustOff?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Stargate38
Moonbather
Moonbather

What would it take for you to unban JustOff?

Unread post by Stargate38 » 2022-04-07, 16:04

Just curious. I know JustOff left a while ago over an add-on-related conflict, and I'm hoping you'll let him come back (only if he wants to), especially if Tobin was responsible for his leaving.

His last post was apparently in reply to Tobin: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=26678&p=213614#p213614

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: What would it take for you to unban JustOff?

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-04-07, 16:16

Does he still exist?
His location is UA if is true what he set in his profile in the forum.
At least on GitHub there was no activity after February.
https://github.com/JustOff
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

noellarkin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by noellarkin » 2022-04-07, 17:17

He's active on Reddit, I got some great actionable advice from him on XPI plugins late last year.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2022-04-07, 19:19

@Stargate38 I don't know how well you've read through the topic you're linking to it, but I get the impression that the writings of JustOff, other developers and other (key) active members to each other have that magnitude of harshness that relations are unfixable. At least the discussion(?) was not Tobin vs JustOff only :coffee:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-04-07, 23:07

The way I see it, the reason JustOff was primarily banned was because he showed himself to be untrustworthy. If JustOff were to be unbanned, I imagine that the reason for reversing that ban would need to be rooted in JustOff's own behavior giving us a reason to see him as more trustworthy, and it wouldn't make sense to reward him merely as a reaction to unrelated events that seem to cast him in a better light.

I guess the question is, has JustOff done anything to show that perhaps he acknowledges that he showed poor judgment and is interested in earning trust back? Or does he still maintain that he was in the right all along and refuse to acknowledge the points that MC and other currently active forum members were making about why his behavior in that instance was not acceptable? In other words, I'm saying JustOff's right to participate in the community should be determined by his own words and actions, not by anything else.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-08, 19:45

back2themoon wrote:
2022-04-08, 16:47
Hope he's ok.
You beat me to it with your post. :)
Ditto.
My prayers and best wishes go out to him.
Pentium4User wrote:
2022-04-07, 16:16
on GitHub there was no activity after February.
Hover on the tiny icon by his GitHub profile pic.
He appears to have others helping out on GitHub when needed btw.

Will further add...
I realize there were very deep disagreements between JustOff and this project's management regarding the direction to take with extensions. And the tone did grow very harsh.

But for my part (and I followed those events very closely) I must say that I deeply trust and respect JustOff. If he did become re-involved in this project, I believe the project and users would all benefit.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-04-09, 12:54

On the topic, it's easy to take one post out of context.
If you want a more complete picture, then I suggest you also take a look at the following related posts:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=26678#p213607 and immediately surrounding posts, as well as viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26204&p=209112#p209112 and of course the entire thread discussing how JustOff attempted to silently redirect add-on updates off of the add-ons site after he had decided to leave, which compromised add-on security in several ways.

I think if JustOff wants to be un-banned here, it will have to be by his incentive and at our discretion. He himself will have to indicate the desire to regain our trust and behave like any other extension developer. He himself will have to contact us and show the expected behavior. Then we will think about it - it won't be an automatic "yes".

By the way, I do think his last post in that thread was in reply to Moonchild, not Tobin; it would be wise to take that bit of information into account as well when trying to understand the context of his ban. Just because Tobin is now out of the picture does not mean that all others are suddenly excused by default for incorrect past behavior. That is not how things are resolved here.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-09, 15:31

Admin wrote:
2022-04-09, 12:54
I think if JustOff wants to be un-banned here
Honestly I have no idea whether he wants that, or would consider being active in this project again in future. Though I would personally like to see that happen.

I suggest people should read the thread (the entire thread) in which he announced that he was moving his extensions from Phoebus to GitHub, Regarding the future of my (JustOff) extensions for Pale Moon, before forming a settled opinion of him or that situation.

My own view is that a very deep, definitive disagreement about extensions policy (such as how to foster availability; how to encourage their development) lay behind much of what led to his departure.

But I was hoping the current "refreshed" atmosphere would prove more flexible and amenable to mending bridges.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-09, 16:31

coffeebreak wrote:
2022-04-09, 15:31
But I was hoping the current "refreshed" atmosphere would prove more flexible and amenable to mending bridges.
It is.
There is, however, a pretty large effort required from his side to mend this particular bridge and the initiative will have to be his, if he's interested. Having a third part ask on his behalf won't result in anything either, and I find this whole thread a strange request which just seems to rekindle an old argument -- which I really don't feel like revisiting and rehashing. All the info is in the linked thread. Any future cooperation with JustOff will depend mostly on his actions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite