Changelog/release notes for add-ons website

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Changelog/release notes for add-ons website

Unread post by win7-7 » 2022-04-07, 09:25

Suggestion: Add changelog/release notes for add-ons website for what changes between versions of add-ons.

See: https://web.archive.org/web/20180515075 ... /issues/47

It would be great to have changelog between add-ons versions. Developer off add-on could be documenting changes in each version.

I can create issue for repo if Moonchild think this feature would be possible for add-ons website.
Off-topic:
Tobin sabotage to project was terrible.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Changelog/release notes for add-ons website

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-08, 00:24

win7-7 wrote:
2022-04-07, 09:25
what changes between versions of add-ons.
That's the job of the addon author :roll:
How do you expect the browser developers to know what changes have been made in addons, or did you think that everything here is provided by them?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-04-08, 02:04

I think win7-7 is talking about giving add-on developers the ability in the add-ons website to add a changelog for every add-on release, similar to how AMO handles it in the past, which is visible in the individual add-on page and in the Add-ons Manager when checking for updates. He's not asking for browser developers to add the changelog themselves for every add-on.

For comparison of the add-on releases page: APMO vs. Fresco Mirror

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2022-04-08, 06:44

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-04-08, 02:04
I think win7-7 is talking about giving add-on developers the ability in the add-ons website to add a changelog for every add-on release, similar to how AMO handles it in the past, which is visible in the individual add-on page and in the Add-ons Manager when checking for updates. He's not asking for browser developers to add the changelog themselves for every add-on.

For comparison of the add-on releases page: APMO vs. Fresco Mirror
Yes. Option for add-on developers to add in changelog/release notes in add-on website what is changing in each version. Similar how AMO in past had such option for add-on developers to add release notes for each version of add-on. Version information had changelog visible for current version. Also all versions had changelog for each version.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-08, 11:10

The add-ons site software is actually FOSS just like Pale Moon is.
It's a PHP/SQL setup, the repo for it is https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/phoebus

Since Tobin was our PHP person, further development on it will likely be entirely dependent on external contributors to that repo. I have some knowledge of the language and can fix existing things or write simple scripts for websites to do basic processing/selection, but implementing new features in Phoebus like asked is likely going to be beyond me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite