Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Dealing with repetitive instructions...

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-29, 09:14

Off-topic:
Doesn't it get tiring after a while?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon crashes on Bing.com

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-29, 09:27

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-29, 09:14
Off-topic:
Doesn't it get tiring after a while?
Off-topic:
Very much so.
But the dilemma is you can't get angry with new users who haven't been told before.

I just wish people would READ stickies and announcements. Lurk before posting, etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-29, 12:49

Off-topic:
Sometimes people believe that the problem is known and easily reproduced, therefore there is no need to provide additional information.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2022-01-29, 13:29

Off-topic:
Why not use prefilled topic templates in support forums, something like this? It's trivially easy to clear the editor box if the support topic starter doesn't want to use the template for whatever reason, but with that explicit action required, literally no one could claim ignorance about being asked to provide some necessary details. Then you could always give them hell if they didn't do that, even if they're a brand new user. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Dealing with repetitive instructions...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-29, 18:15

Split this offtopic stuff off to an on-topic place for it.

Thanks for the suggestion jarman -- It was a painless solution to add :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2022-01-30, 15:14

Glad I could help. :) TBH, I thought I was being Captain Obvious, and was 95% sure you had your reasons for not doing things this way, like maybe you already tried it in the past and it didn't help. But since this almost daily airheads vs grumblers pattern has been pretty tedious to watch, I made the suggestion just in case.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 16:27

jarman wrote:
2022-01-30, 15:14
maybe you already tried it in the past and it didn't help
I looked around for solutions in the past but never found anything useful or that could be used on our version of phpBB. Not to mention plenty of extensions to phpBB that simply don't work at all or screwed up the db. So the only reason I tried it with obvious on-screen information using phpBB's own tools in the forum was because it was too much of a risk and time sink to try and figure it out, which I simply didn't have time for. It shouldn't be necessary to repeat the instructions that are already posted all over the place, IMHO. If users can't read before posting, what makes anyone think they are going to read any reply with any more attention? But maybe I just don't understand the kind of fragmented attention people have these days.