Moonbather

Reporting erroneous URL target on PM website

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-06-09, 04:05

On the "Source code" page: http://www.palemoon.org/sourcecode.shtml

There are 2 links labelled as so:
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
and
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP

Both link currently point to the same target, https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP.

Obviously the former link should instead point to https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Reporting erroneous URL target on PM website

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-09, 12:26

Feel free to make a PR on the repo for the website
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-06-09, 13:53

Sorry but since you closed the GitHub repository, I already had to create an account on this forum* to report a simple issue, and now just to fix an URL I would have to create yet another account on the new repository...

* actually I already had an account on this forum, but the accounts are deleted after an amount of time (which is a policy I can't stand...)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-09, 14:10

We had no choice and despite Github's continued Microsoftification.. I am maintaining the UXP Repo on release. But no you have to complain..

How disappointing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-09, 15:48

Sorry but I won't open our repo to "single sign-on" abuse and user tracking.
Like... creating an account is such a chore? :roll:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-06-10, 00:00

Indeed for me creating any additional account is a chore, more specifically having to keep it afterwards.

Each additional account means (non exhaustive):
  • Having to configure the account (notably: notifications, privacy settings)
  • Having to keep note of the account. No way I'm creating an account then forget it and leave it in the wild.
  • Additional possible website hack/leakage I can be concerned by.
  • Even with notifications disabled the most possible, there are still a few emails like:
    • "oh hey we know you disabled emails but this one announcement is very important (to us)"
    • "oh hey you had disabled emails notifications but we reenabled them"
    • "oh hey sorry here's a useless announcement but it's mandatory due to some stupid EU law"
    • "oh hey sorry to disturb you but we have to inform you we got hacked"
    • "oh hey we are a new company B, company A sold us your data please have a look at our product"
With accounts stacking up over the years, I do regularly lose time as shown above because of old accounts I haven't yet obfuscated / made deleted.

And importantly: "single sign-on" (through google, facebook, etc) are much worse actually: an account is still created on the website, with all the above caveats. But instead of having separate accounts using the email address of your choice, you are tied up by a "third-party permission" on a centralized account...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-10, 01:39

And now you've likely spent more time typing and formatting your reply than it would have taken to register the account, create the edit and have it ready to be merged as a PR.
Also, you seem to assume that a gitea account on our private repo server will subject you to corporate marketing. We're not that kind of organization.
But sure, I'll make the edit myself, then, since you seem to have such an aversion to helping us directly through the channels offered...