Tightening down on Tor traffic

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Tightening down on Tor traffic

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-05, 12:01

While I've been very lenient towards Tor-sourced traffic so far, the on-going and increasing abuse from the Tor network has caused enough trouble for us and I'll be tightening down on Tor traffic.
Expect our websites and services to refuse any and all Tor traffic in the future.

While I'm aware that there are some legitimate Tor users out there, it's been clear from our metrics that they make up a totally insignificant percentage. Even on our relatively niche websites that aren't direct targets for the usual suspects on the Tor network, only 0.25% of the challenge triggers are actually solved (meaning 99.75% of all of those requests are abusive, bots, scripts, or otherwise traffic with no legitimate interest in our content). One can expect that percentage to be even (significantly) lower on sites that are a more general target for attack and abuse.
So, hate to say it, Tor proponents, but your argument that there is a significant enough amount of "good" traffic on the Tor network has been once and for all proven false with the figures I've been seeing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite